Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

engine will run perfectly for about 10 to 15 minutes, then…

Customer Question
engine will run perfectly for...
engine will run perfectly for about 10 to 15 minutes, then runs itself out of gas. Have checked the tank for obstuction. Replace all fuel lines, rebuilt fuel pump, & carb. New air cleaner. New Magneto. New fueld filter
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/13/2010
Technician: Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert replied 8 years ago
Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Have you tried loosening the gas cap while running? I wonder if the tank is not venting. Sounds very much like this is the case.
already did that, even ran it with the gas cap off- same result.

Do you have spark when the mower dies?

Can you restart the mower immediately?

have spark, have to put hand over carb till it starts drawing gas again and fills up the filter and starts spraying into the carb - then it fires right again for about 10 minutes of

cutting

It sounds like you have a restriction in your carb.

When you rebuilt it how did you clean it? I would suggest removing it and soaking it in a carb cleaning solution overnight and then rebuilding it. Pay extra attention to the needle seat, and any small orifices in the jet(s) Also make sure that the float is moving up and down freely without restriction.

Did that - New Needle all blown out with compressed - its not the carb or electrical - whats left??

If your machine is running out of fuel then there is a problem within the fuel system. We know that the spark is good, and so is the compression and timing. Lets try to remove the fuel pump from the equation. These engines do not require a fuel pump unless the fuel tank is lower then the carb. Remove your fuel tank or make a suitable substitute and run a fuel line from it to the carb skipping your fuel pump. Make sure to hold/hang your tank above the carb. Try this and see what happens. Also what are all the numbers from your engine. Model, spec and serial?