Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I HAVE A JOHN DEERE 185. I TESTED THE 2 WIRES COMING OUT FROM…

Customer Question
I HAVE A JOHN DEERE...
I HAVE A JOHN DEERE 185. I TESTED THE 2 WIRES COMING OUT FROM UNDER THE HOOD AT FULL THROTLE THEY WERE PUTTING OUT 33.4 OHMS?? THE DEALER THOUGHT THE REGULATOR WAS BAD REPLACED IT, 130.00. JUST CUT THE GRASS SHUT OFF THE MOWER AND WOULD NOT RESTART. JUMPED IT AND STARTED FINE. IS THERE A WAY TOO FIND OUT WHY THE BATTERY IS NOT CHARGING?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/12/2010
Technician: J.R., Small Engine Technician replied 8 years ago
J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
The problem sounds like the stator under the flywheel is bad if you replaced the regulator and it is still not charging.
That's what those two wires were supposed to be going too .and the dealer said as long as the AC voltage was over 26 I didn't need to worry about that.

I do not have the specs for testing the stator on that engine. I do know that all of the other manufacturers require an ac and dc test. You need a dc shunt tool to do some of the testing. If you have replaced the regulator and the wiring is all goo the only thing left is the stator or the magnets inside the flywheel.