Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a JD L-110 with 342 hrs. I was cutting grass and backed…

Customer Question
I have a JD L-110...
I have a JD L-110 with 342 hrs. I was cutting grass and backed up without pushing the safty switch and the engine started missing. After a day latter it will not crank at all. Can you help
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/12/2010
Technician: jcook, Small Engine Technician replied 8 years ago
jcook
jcook, Small Engine Technician
Make sure the battery is fully charged, Make sure the fuse is not blown.There are two saftey switches in this unit. One is on the brake pedal and the other is on the pto lever. Make sure they are in place and the pto lever is all the way back. If all this is okay then with the brake locked locate the starter solenoid mounted next to the battery turn the key to crank and see if you have 12 volts to the small wire with a spaid terminal, There are two. The black wire will be a ground. If you find you have power and the solenoid will not click then the solenoid may be bad. If you hear it click then check to see if there is voltage at the starter. If there is and it still will not crank then the starter may be bad. Thr RIO function should not affect the cranking, it will affect the ignition. That may be why it sputtered. If the Rio relay stuck on then it is possible the battery may have been drawn down. Make sure the small red wire on the starter solenoid us plugged in tight as well, This is the supply wire for the key switch. Try these test I have suggested and you should be able to get it going. If you need further assistance then feel free to request me for this question anytime. If I have answered your question then please click the ACCEPT icon. Thanks, Jason