Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 1988 JD318 tractor with 650 hours. Its in great…

Customer Question
I have a 1988 JD318...
I have a 1988 JD318 tractor with 650 hours. It's in great shape. I rarely use it to mow but the other day I was mowing a friends lawn and I noticed what appeared to be smoke blowing from the front of the unit. I shut it down and opened the hood. Smoke was coming from just above the muffler. There was plenty of oil and the oil pressure light did not come on. I did remove the front lower plate (belt tension indicator) to repaint so the belt was retensioned. Got any ideas as to why this happened and what to do to repair the problem? Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/13/2010
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Without knowing more about the smoking it is hard to put an answer together that will be the correct answer. Smoke coming from above the muffler could have just been a buildup of oil or debris that the muffler heated up and started to smoke. The exhaust gets red hot and it could have even been paint burning from from where you had been painting. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is , does the unit still run and are all systems go. From your statement , it would seem that this is the first time it has had to work in a while and it was heating up items that hadn't been hot in quite a while. I know this isn't a fix it answer, but if you find that after running it some more it still smokes, maybe you could get a better feel for what is smoking. Have a good day. Thanks.
Thanks Curtis. I should also tell you that the tractor is clean (you can eat off the engine if you'd like). So debris is not what's smoking. Nor is it fresh paint as the tractor has not been painted (original paint). As for a recent workout, I used it (with a Johnny Bucket attachement) last weekend to spread 10 tons of crushed stone up a long steep driveway without incident.

I did loosen the front PTO drive belt tension which powers the mower deck and ran the tractor with mower engaged for 15 minutes. Granted the tractor wasn't moving or mowing, but no overheating occured.

Rob
Have you tried it again to see if the smoke returns?
No overheating, no smoke with the mower engaged, engine at full rpm, tractor stationary for 15 minutes. Will try mowing again next week to see what happens.

Rob
Ok. Just keep question open and let me know how it turns out. Have a good day.