Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

the reset keeps coming out when i use the mower. i have the…

Customer Question
the reset keeps coming out...
the reset keeps coming out when i use the mower. i have the right gauge extenstion cord. i don't know what is wrong
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/11/2010
Technician: Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer replied 8 years ago
Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Does the breaker trip if you just run it on the sidewalk without mowing grass?
no, and i raise it to different levels just to make sure that it's not cutting off from being too close to the ground.
How thick is the grass you are mowing?
an inch or two off the ground... most of it is like regular grass but some of it is real thin and stringy. the mower will work but cut off every ten seconds or so. i always have to reset the fuse

The mower is cutting off because it's overloaded. The question is why? It doesn't sound like the grass is too much for it under normal conditions. Are you sure about your cord and outlet? Have you tried a different cord and outlet to see if it still happens? If you turn the blade by hand with the mower unplugged, wearing gloves and being careful, does the motor shaft turn freely? Or does it feel like it's binding?

i tried different outlets and cords, and at first i thought that the grass was too thick, but even when the grass is like an inch high and dry it cuts off
Does the shaft feel like it's binding?
no the shaft moves fine, i even used some wd40. it just routinely cuts off every ten to 20seconds or so. sometimes it will sputter a bit before it cuts off. i even opened it up and cleaned off some of the parts but it still does the same thing
have youfigured anything out yet?
hey rick can ya get back to me when ya get a chance?