Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My cart died , checked the battery and it was dead, replaced…

Customer Question
My cart died , checked...
My cart died , checked the battery and it was dead, replaced it with a new one and it is still not starting and I can't even get the lights to come on. What do you suggest? EZGO Cart G102 Serial #(NNN) NNN-NNNN I would appreciate any help you can give.
Thanks John Czop
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/10/2010
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
John, have you checked the ground cable to the frame. It needs a good, clean ground connection. Is the positive cable going direct to the starter relay? Do you have a volt meter to check the voltage points? Battery should check at least 12.5, then go from positive post on battery to the frame, should get battery voltage. If not the ground cable is bad or the connection. For you to have no lights or anything else i would think it is related to the battery or cables. Let me know. Thanks.
I had one wire not attached to the battery, it's grounded and splits off to the generator. I attached it and still have no power. I attached it to the neg. post on the battery. tried the pos. post with no avail. Cleaned all connections and checked the fuse, looked OK. The battery I bought did not have the standard EZGO connections and I bought a couple marine gizmos that attached to each post. Could that be the problem?
A bad connection at the post could certainly be related to the connector. Did you run a wire brush over the terminals on the battery before installing the connectors. Sometimes there is a coating of plastic on the positive terminal.
Cleaned the terminals and also the connectors and still nothing. Any other suggestions?
Do you have a volt meter to check the system?
No, I'm going to carry the cart to a repair shop, the same place I bought the battery, Affordable Golf Cars in San Marcus.

Ok, I worked in austin for 30+ years. Have a good day.