Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 2166 and a lot of times when I go to start it the…

Customer Question
I have a 2166 and...
I have a 2166 and a lot of times when I go to start it the starter just Clicks, turn key off and try agian , and it just Clicks. Sometimes it will do this 10 times, and on the 11th try it will fire right up, just like a new one? It has done this for probably 3 years? Sometimes it will fire up on 1st try? What could be the trouble. I have to leave for work in 15 minutes, after that i can only communicate thru text or email that I can raed with blackberry. can't open up a lot of different websites. I have already removed and cleaned all connections
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/9/2010
Technician: J.R., Small Engine Technician replied 8 years ago
J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
The problem may be a bad ignition switch, dirty connections, bad solenoid, or the starter. Start by checking all of the connections at the battery and the solenoid. If they all check out ok, then I would replace the key switch.
The starter and the solenoid are all in one. the cost is 200.00 and that is a very expensive way for process of elimination??
How many small wires are on the starter solenoid?
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
just answer my questiopn