jcook
jcook, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  15 yrs experience John Deere C&CE technician. Briggs & Stratton MST, Instructor
38718296

i have a john deere 185 hydro 1990 have no spark changed coil

i have a john deere 185 hydro 1990 have no spark changed coil set air gap very little spark not enough to start it cant figure it out and i had taken the ground wire off the coil
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  jcook replied 7 years ago.
Look along the dipstick tube and see if there is an igniter, It will be silver in color and held on with a single phillips screw and have a single spaid connector. If equipped I would recommend replacing it since it causes most spark related issues in these engines. If I have answered youre question then please click the "ACCEPT" icon. Thanks, Jason

Edited by jcook on 6/5/2010 at 1:08 AM EST
Expert:  jcook replied 7 years ago.
I think you are repling to this question by opening another. Please reply to this question only. The ground wire you are referring to feeds off the igniter, I would recommend replacing the igniter, make sure the magnets on the flywheel are not rusty. If I have answered your question then please click the "ACCEPT" icon