How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J.R. Your Own Question
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Category: Small Engine
Satisfied Customers: 7445
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
Type Your Small Engine Question Here...
J.R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

*I have a Poulan 3800 chainsaw. The gas tank has two holes

Resolved Question:

*I have a Poulan 3800 chainsaw. The gas tank has two holes in it. One is for a line to the carburetor, where does the other line go to from the gas tank?? This model does not have a primer bulb.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.

The other hole should be a vent hole.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

J.R. This does not solve the problem. If this a vent hole it should have a tube going somewhere. As it is, the saw will not continue running after it is started and gas just pours out of this hole and if it did continue running, you would not be able to turn the saw on its side without gas running out.

Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.

There should be a line that comes up out of it or it should have the little plastic breather vent that plugs the hole. Did it leak fuel prior to this?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The saw was working fine Saturday and I stopped to refuel, after that I could not keep it running and gas was leaking profusely. I had no problem starting it, but it would not continue running. I assumed it was the gas line. I changed this today and noticed the second hole in the gas tank and could not find where another line from the second hole would go. I had alredy looked on line and found all the schematics that you sent, but I cannot find anything referencing a plastic breather vent nor can I find this part listed. If it had a vent line coming out, where would it go?? I looked at the website you sent and it appears that all I need is the breather vent assembly. Do you know where I can buy one or can you get me a part number? I do not need the whole tank.
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
The breather assembly only comes with the tank.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
J.R. That is hard for me to believe. A part is a part!! If it goes into the gas tank , then it should be avaliable as a part. Can I not find this part anywhere??
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.

I have looked everywhere and as near as I can tell it is only sold with the tank. I am still looking.


Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
J.R. and other Small Engine Specialists are ready to help you