Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

I have a briggs and stratton 21 hp ohv 1/c platinum Intek engine

Customer Question

I have a briggs and stratton 21 hp ohv 1/c platinum Intek engine in a Craftsman tractor.
I have an oil leak on the left side of the engine, near the oil filter. It only leaks when there is a load on the engine. It does not leak at a fast idle. Any tips to repair this would be helpful. Gordon
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
Does it seem to be coming out between where the oil sump and the upper engine join?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think so but I cant tell for sure
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
First order of business is to clean around the area so we can be sure of the exact location of the leak. Can you do that and let me know? Once we have that pinned down I can give you guidance on the fix.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have cleaned the area put cant see the leak. It only leaks under load so you cant see a leak when it is idleing

Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.

I realize this is not an easy thing to do, but it'll save you time in the long run.

If, for example, the leak is at the base of the dipstick, there is an o-ring at the base that can be repaired really easily. If, however, you have a leaking sump gasket, you'll need to remove the engine from the tractor to fix it, and that's a whole lot more work. There's a possibility that the plug at the base of the oil filter is loosened. These are the most common things in the area you describe.

I'm going to post a parts breakdown below that shows the assembly of your engine that may be helpful for reference. It's a bit slow to download so please be patient. I would suggest saving to to your desktop as a reference until we finish working through this.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/maint_repair/manual_and_more/docmanualdetails.aspx?showpdf=MS2987_E_LO.pdf

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's too late to do anything more today. Will work on it tomorrow. How do I get in touch with you if I need too?
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
Just reply back to this question and we'll continue then. Have a great evening...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Checked the oil plug near the oil filter. Found no problem. The leak seems to be from above there. It's not the Oring on the dip stick tube, that's on the other side of the engine. Could it be the crankcase gasket?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: It's not that I wasn't happy with the first, answer, I asked for more information and didn't receive an answer back.
The second information I needed, was, if I do rebuld the engine. Are there certain tourque specifications I need to know. I sent the email, but didn't hear back and it's been about 8 hours. Thanks..
It's not that I wasn't happy with the first, answer, I asked for more information and didn't receive an answer back.
The second information I needed, was, if I do rebuld the engine. Are there certain tourque specifications I need to know. I sent the email, but didn't hear back and it's been about 8 hours. Thanks.
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry. I was away on family stuff this weekend and apparently no one picked up your re-list of the question. I just now saw it as I was going through some pending reports. Do you still need assistance?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, but 5 days is way too long to wait for any kind of answer. The first one was helpful, but I would like all $30.00 refunded. Can't understand why they took $30.00 out. I approved $13.00. I'm not real happy with this site right now.
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.

You're certainly correct about that being too long to wait for an answer. I personally try to be very responsive and spend about 50-60 hours a week helping customers to the best of my ability. You should have been given through the site the option to get faster service since I wasn't available (sorry, but can't be here 24 hours a day personally). I'm sorry if it wasn't clear to you through the interface on how to do that. Looks like the holdup occurred when you took 17 hours and 27 minutes to continue.

As far as the $30, I replied to your first $13 question 6 minutes and 11 seconds after you posted it. I replied back to your second duplicate $17 question 4 minutes and 56 seconds after you asked it. Since you posted a $17 and a $13 question, that's why the site billed you for $30.

I'll alert the site moderators to your request for a refund. Since you didn't accept my answer I was not paid for the time and effort I put into trying to assist you. Very sorry it didn't work out and I hope you'll give us another shot in the future. Most customers are very pleased with the experience.