Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a Yardman Command 15 riding mower with a Kohler CV15S

Customer Question
engine. The mower is...
I have a Yardman Command 15 riding mower with a Kohler CV15S engine. The mower is 10+ years old. I've always changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, spark plug, and blades. The battery is removed and stored in the winter and typically the mower runs well. However, over the past couple of seasons I've begun to notice that I'm getting gas into the oil. The amount of gas has become more prominent and I would like to determine what the cause of this would be and how to repair it. When draining the oil, it is very clearly containing a significant amount of gas.

Also, the motor will begin to run poorly and a lot of white smoke will start to come out. Once I change the oil and filter and start it back up, then the mower will run fine for some time.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/11/2010
Technician: J.R., Small Engine Technician replied 7 years ago
J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
The problem is a leaking inlet needle valve and seat in the carburetor.
J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
How difficult is this to replace for someone who hasn't done it before?
It is not that hard. You just have to take the bowl off of the carburetor and take the float off. You need to clamp the fuel line shut first. Get me all of the model numbers off of the sticker on the engine and I will get you a part number.
The model of the mower is 13AX694G401 and it is a Yardman Command 15 42" cut CV15S Kohler engine. The serial number 1C177H10143. Not sure if that is what you need.
I need the model numbers off of the engine. They will be on a white or silver sticker on the large housing that covers the top of the engine.
J.R.
J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician