CJBennett
CJBennett, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Briggs and Stratton Master Service Tech, Kohler, Tecumseh, Kawasaki certified. 18 years exp.
17032296

Lawn mower using an excess amount of gasoline Why

Have you replaced the air cleaner. A clogged filter will cause too much fuel to be used. Also does it seem to run OK?

CJ

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no, the engine falters momentarly, levels out, then falters as if it is getting too much gasoline it smokes heavily. I have cleaned the filter. It is a foam filter. I could take it off and it wont help. still falters, too much gasoline smokes
Does this unit have the plastic carb that sits on top of the fuel tank?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it has no carborator but there is a plastic unit that sits on top of the fuel tank with a tube going into the gas tank. I think my problem is involving a rubber gasket. I think its a check valve involved some where . the screen on the end of the tube going into the tank is clean

That plastic unit is the carb. There is a rubber diaphragm under it that has gone bad. The part number is XXXXX you will have to remove the fuel tank and carb assembly. Split the carb from the tank and replace that diaphragm. Pay close attention to how the linkage hooks top the carb, so you can get it back on correctly.

CJ

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
where do I get the part

You can get the part at any mower shop around you. Or follow this link and type in the part number. http://www.partstree.com/parts/

CJ