J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

I need a replacement engine for a old Troy-Bilt Pony tiller

Customer Question

I need a replacement engine for a old Troy-Bilt Pony tiller with a 5HP B-S engine. I don't know the model numbers. Where can I find a engine?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
We need to know the model numbers off of the original engine. The numbers should be stamped into the metal on the top of the large housing that covers the flywheel and hold the recoil starter. Normally if you look where the sparkplug wire goes under that cover you will see a raised area. The numbers will be stamped into the metal near that.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It looks lile Model 3J292 or maybe 3 292
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
That is not a good number. Use some sandpaper and sand that area down good. There will be several more numbers.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK, but it will be a few min.
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
I will be here.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I get 13(NNN) NNN-NNNN01 82061407.
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.

See attached link. If your tiller has 2 shafts sticking out of the engine on the side where the belts are, then you will need to order one of these 2 engines and the adapter kit. The new engines are overhead valve. They require the use of spacers and different belts.

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/RepowerItems.asp?Brand=Troy-Bilt&Model=Pony Tiller

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I lost the link you sent me. Can you resend?