Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

I have a Tecumseh HMSK 80-110 engine on my 4year old snowblower.

I have a Tecumseh HMSK 80-110 engine on my 4year old snowblower. It ran fine in December, but now it constantly stalls. Can't even take it off full choke without stalling. I changed the gas...same problem. What next?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.

Sounds like a plugged carburetor. Let's try a minor fix first, then if that doesn't solve it a full cleaning and rebuild will be necessary.

Please shut off the fuel or pinch the fuel line and have a container ready under the carburetor bowl. Remove the bowl nut and look in the bowl for any sediment or build-up. Clean it out. Be cautious not to knock the float loose. It's not major if you do, but there's no sense having to put more back together than necessary.

The bowl nut has some small holes that are likely plugged. Spray it with carburetor cleaner and use some small soft wire like from a bread tie to make sure the passages are clear. Spray some carburetor cleaner up the center nozzle of the carburetor as well until it shoots out the throat of the carb.

graphic

Bolt it back and try it again. Please let me know and we'll continue.