Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My Craftsman Snow thrower, model 536.881851 has a Briggs &

My Craftsman Snow thrower, modelNNN-NN-NNNNhas...
My Craftsman Snow thrower, modelNNN-NN-NNNNhas a Briggs & Stratton model 15A114-0342-E1 engine. The engine has given me - from the beginning - this problem:
It will start quickly and run flawlessly for approx. 10 minutes. then it begins to stumble and then will stop, whether it is running under load or idling. After about fifteen minutes of "rest" the engine will restart and after ten minutes of satidfactory running it will stumble and stop again. This cycle will continue "ad infinitum". It is very frustrating!
I have changed the fuel in the tank and cleaned and re-gapped the plug. Nothing helps!...
What must I do, to solve this problem? Please help!
Heinz Erdenberger [email protected]
2/26/2010
CJBennett
CJBennett, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Sounds like you gas cap is not venting the fuel tank. Run it till it is about to stall again. Then loosen the cap and see if it picks back up. If it does then the cap is bad.

CJ

Hello, CJBennet:

I have tried that previously There is no change in the engine, trying to stop,when the gas cap is loose or even completely removed. The engine stil stalls!

Please help!

H.E.

Check spark next time it stalls. Remove the plug and leave it hooked to the wire. Make sure the base of the plug is touching metal. Pull the engine over and check for spark at the plug. You may have to do this in a dark area, sometimes it is hard to see.

CJ

CJ:

I checked the spark. There is one. However, I think, since the engine starts and runs perfectly for approx. ten minutes, before stalling out, it could not be a faulty spark anyway!

Something seems to heat up or overheat(?), until the engine stops.

Please help! H.E.

P.S. could it be a faulty coil?

When the ignition coil is bad they will often run for 10 minutes till the coil gets hot. Then they will stall. You can't restart them till the coil cools down. That's why I want you to check the spark after it stalls. Why are you Opting me out?

Edited by CJBennett on 2/26/2010 at 7:45 PM EST

CJ:

Are you telling me that the coil is bad?

Please reply

H.E.

CJ:

ARe you telling me that the coil is bad?

Please reply.

H.E.

CJ:

Are you telling me that the coil is bad???

Please tell me.

Thank you,Customer/strong>

You opted me out and I could not respond. Yes your coil is most likely bad.

CJ

CJBennett
CJBennett, Small Engine Technician