Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a WHITE sSnow Boss 500 snow blower with a Tecumseh HSSK50

engine. I am looking for...
I have a WHITE sSnow Boss 500 snow blower with a Tecumseh HSSK50 engine. I am looking for a replacement engine that would take little reworking ( if possible ) What options do I have?
2/15/2010
James W
James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert

OK. Humor me just a minute.

The easiest thing to do is fix the old one if possible.

Tecumseh is out of business, yet there are still many parts available including some short blocks etc. (SB=Everything that touches oil, where you just move the carb, the ignition, the head, flywheel over, but the MAIN parts are all new.

much less cost than a new engine and we KNOW it fits.

What kind of problem are you having?

James W

I was running the snow blower and it began backfiring through the exhaust ( probably a sticking valve ) It lost power as you might imagine. I was thinking that a new engine, maybe a 5.5 or 6 hp might hbe in order. I have noticed a lot of Tecumseh engines for sale $220 and less with free shipping. I didn't know if it was a step shaft without taking it apart. If I let it cool, it runs OK for about 20 min but after all these years, it doesn't have the power it used to. The enfine doesn't run well without the choke on a bit.

The newer engine seemed like a kuick and more permanent fix.

Bikk

I do not know if you have looked or not, but snow thrower engines must be replaced with snowthrower engines.

They are different in many different ways such as where the air comes from that enters that carburetor. There is usually no air cleaner. There is usually a heavier flywheel to give it more torque.

Just any engine will not do.

On the other hand, you sound like a Perfect candidate for a Short Block..

Please provide the Model number, type number, and spec number of the engine and I will research for sure.

It could also be fixed with a simple valve job (not hard on a Tecumseh).

The fact that the unit must be run with he choke on makes sense because that means it is running lean and this burns valves.

The carb could be cleaned. And this could fix lots of problems. I will throw instructions for that too.

Try this manual for more info

http://www.allotment.org.uk/assets/rotovator/Tecumseh-Engine-Manual.pdf

As engines sit or get older, fuel that is left in the carburetor can turn to gum and varnish and cause this and other problems.

Also, any gasoline that was left in a gas can for a period of more than 30 days must be discarded because it also has begun to turn to varnish.

Today's gasolines contain MTBE and alcohol. (Ethanol) They turn to "Junk and garbage" very quickly. Alcohol absorbs water. And they call it "Oxygenated fuels! It is the oxygen (and the water) that breaks down the organic compounds in the fuel and turns the gas to "Garbage" (Gum and varnish) The fuels we had just a few years ago had no alcohol in it and would store for longer periods of time before going stale.

Fuel stabilizers do almost nothing to prevent the fuel from going bad with the changes in today's fuels. The whole point of a fuel stabilizer is to form an oily film on the surface of stored gasoline whether in the tank or in a gas can. The idea was to keep oxygen away from the gasoline to prevent breakdown. Since the fuel is already oxygenated, the fuel stabilizer concept is null and void. These fuels start to degrade immediately upon the addition of the ethanol.

.

Do not buy gas from the "Discount" Stations. The discount stations get a reduced price on gas because they may be buying fuel that is nearly 30 days old already. You may be getting fuel that's nearly stale right from the pump when buying from a discount station. Purchase your fuel from the well-known stations such as Shell, BP, Sonoco, Phillips 66 etc.

More than 70% of all of our repairs in our small engine repair business are due to these same issues. You most likely have dirt, gum, varnish...etc in your carburetor plugging up the small passageways and jets in the carburetor.

The carburetor will need to be cleaned and overhauled as well as the rest of the fuel system.

• If you plan to do the work yourself, take pictures with your digital camera or at least make a drawing of where all the linkages, gaskets, and component parts go. Correct reassembly is critical.
  • Remove the carburetor from the engine.
  • Remove all of the non-metallic parts since the carburetor cleaner will cause them to be disfigured decompose and plug the carburetor as time goes on.
  • Clean all parts with carburetor cleaner.
  • Blow out all the small holes and passageways with compressed air.
  • Use a tiny stiff wire such as is found on the twist tie on a loaf of bread or on a garbage bag to open all tiny passageways found in the carburetor such as in the screw, nut, or jet holding the bowl of the carburetor on (if it has a bowl). Make sure to look for tiny holes in the bottom and side threads of the bowl nut or nozzle a make sure they are clear with the wire.
  • Wash the carburetor cleaner off of the metal parts by washing them in warm, soapy water then rinsing with clean water.
  • Dry all carburetor parts by blowing it off with compressed air.
  • Make sure that all the passageways are blown dry before reassembling (you do not want water back in the carburetor).
  • Reassemble the carburetor using a NEW carburetor rebuild kit.
  • NOTE: DO NOT TRY TO REASSEMBLE WITHOUT USING A COMPLETE CARBURETOR KIT! You will just end up having to do the job again.
  • Find the Model, type and serial or code numbers off of the engine and take them to your local dealer to get the carburetor repair kit.
  • ALWAYS clean the fuel tank and replace the fuel line when doing this repair or you may have to do it all over again. The inside of the fuel line disintegrates over time and these small pieces of rubber will plug up the carburetor too. Dirt and water from a dirty fuel tank will also plug up the carburetor. If this happens, you will be starting over again from the top.

In an Emergency such as a blizzard where you cannot get out to buy a carburetor kit until the plows come through, or during an emergency power outage and you need a generator running even if it runs poorly, you might try the following if your carburetor is the type that has a bowl. Sometimes this procedure works:

While the carburetor is still mounted to the engine:

• Pinch the fuel line with a pair of vice grips to stop the fuel from going to the carburetor.
  • Remove the bowl nut (or nozzle from the bottom of the carburetor and let the fuel drain from the bowl.
  • Carefully remove the bowl from the carburetor without letting the needle and seat and float fall out of position (if it does, no big deal, but you will have to reassemble it, which is harder with the carburetor on the unit).
  • Dump all of the Gunk out of the bowl and put the bowl back into position.
  • Use a tiny stiff wire such as is found on the twist tie on a loaf of bread or on a garbage bag to open all tiny holes in the screw, bowl nut, or nozzle that was holding the bowl of the carburetor on (if it has a bowl). Make sure to look for tiny holes in the bottom and side threads of the bowl nut or nozzle a make sure they are clear with the wire.
  • Reassemble and see if you got lucky.

You may be able to finish the job at hand then clean and overhaul the carburetor correctly when you have more time and a new carburetor overhaul kit.

If you don't feel comfortable with these kinds of repairs, or if the carburetor still doesn't work correctly after your attempt, I would suggest sending it to a profession repair shop with a reputation for having friendly, knowledgeable, experienced service technicians. It would be best to take it to someone who has an "Ultra-sonic" cleaning machine. This machine uses a very mild carburetor cleaner in concert with ultrasonic vibrations to get the very small passageways clean. This method is very effective even when traditional methods fail.

Please feel free to ask follow-up questions so that we can always arrive at the correct solution. We want you to be 100% satisfied.

Without the model number of the engine, the Type number and the spec number, it would be impossible for me to answer which engine that we could replace your old engine with with only a small amount of reworking.

Please review where I said: Please provide the Model number, type number, and spec number of the engine and I will research for sure.

James W
James W