Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

7 hp tecumseh snapper snow blower..... Model # 17243 Got it

Customer Question
7 hp tecumseh snapper snow...
7 hp tecumseh snapper snow blower..... Model # XXXXX
Got it used, it started fine when I went to look at it everything worked fine. I drain the gs and filled with fresh. The next day we had snow the blower worked fine for the 30min then it acted as if it was not getting enough fuel then it cut off. It would not re-start I tried about 30min later and it did but repeated the same thing as before this cycle went on most of the day until it would not start again even the next day. I pulled the carburetor and cleaned it then reinstalled put in a new plug. Stated it up and it did but when I used it smoke came from the top on opposite side of the exhaust now I see black smoke residue on that side. Don't know what to do please!
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Small Engine
1/31/2010
Technician: Delsley Jr, Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Delsley Jr
Delsley Jr, Mechanic
HiCustomer... Was there gas in the oil ?

No

If it had black smoke coming from it, that is caused from it getting to much gas in the cylinder and it not having enough oxygen to burn it all. This problem is caused by the carb letting to much fuel to the engine.
I never saw black smoke there is bi smoke residue on side of the
gas tank. I did see white smoke either way how do I adjust the gas
mixture on my model ?

Which screw do I turn
Which way
How much
Thanks
Oops I never saw blk smoke....
Ok... On it not getting enough fuel it can be caused by the vent hole becoming plugged up in the fuel tank cap, plugged fuel filter ( if equipped with on ) or the fuel passages being plugged up in the carb.
I checked all of that and all is fine that's why I'm stomped.
All of that I know how to do but adjustment I don't know which screw
to turn or which way.

I have already did everything you suggestedSmile

Thanks for trying to help anyway.Smile

Technician: Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician replied 7 years ago
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician

The most likely cause of your problem is that when you cleaned the carburetor, you did not use a complete carburetor repair kit. It is most likely flooding the engine from fuel that is leaking past the float needle. Replace the needle and seat (It is in the carb kit) and make sure that the float is set correctly. It should be mostly level with the carburetor body.

If there are adjustments on your carburetor, The one on the bottom of the bowl is the high speed jet and should be adjusted at 1 1/2 turns out to start. then adjust till it runs correctly.

The idle adjustment screw is on the side of the carburetor...just above the bowl. It should be adjusted between 3/4 to 1 turn out to start. Then adjusted from there.

I am sending you my standard carburetor answer and also a copy of the Tecumseh service manual for you to look at.

Tecumseh l-head service manual.

http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

Carburetor answer:

As engines sit or get older, fuel that is left in the carburetor can turn to gum and varnish and cause this and other problems. Also, any gasoline that was left in a gas can for a period of more than 30 days must be discarded because it also has begun to turn to varnish.

Today's gasoline's contain MTBE and alcohol. (Ethanol) They turn to "Junk and garbage" very quickly. Alcohol is partially water (H2O). And they call it "Oxygenated fuels! It is the oxygen that breaks down the organic compounds in the fuel and turns the gas to "Garbage" (Gum and varnish) The fuels we had just a few years ago had no alcohol in it and would store for longer periods of time before going stale... and fuel stabilizers do almost nothing to prevent the fuel from going bad with the changes in today's fuels.

Do not buy gas from the "Discount" Stations. The discount stations get a reduced price on gas because they may be buying fuel that is nearly 30 days old already. You may be getting fuel that's nearly stale right from the pump when buying from a discount station. Purchase your fuel from the well-known stations such as Shell, BP, Sonoco, Phillips 66 etc.

More than 70% of all of our repairs in our lawn mower business are due to this same issue. You most likely have dirt, gum, varnish...etc in your carburetor plugging up the small passageways and jets in the carburetor.

The carburetor must be removed from the engine. Clean all parts with carburetor cleaner and blow out all the small holes and passageways with compressed air. Remove all of the non-metallic parts since the carburetor cleaner will cause them to be disfigured decompose and plug the carburetor as time goes on.

Wash the carburetor cleaner off of the metal parts by washing them in warm, soapy water then rinsing with clean water. Dry them by blowing it off with compressed air. Make sure that all the passageways are blown dry before reassembling.

Reassemble using a NEW carburetor rebuild kit.

DO NOT TRY TO REASSEMBLE WITHOUT USING A COMPLTE CARBURETOR KIT! You will just end up having to do the job again.

ALWAYS clean the fuel tank and replace the fuel line when doing this repair or you may have to do it all over again. The inside of the fuel line disintegrates over time and these small pieces of rubber will plug up the carburetor too. Dirt and water from a dirty fuel tank will also plug up the carburetor. Find the Model, type and serial or code numbers off of the engine and take them to your local dealer to get the carburetor repair kit.

If you do the work yourself, take pictures or at least make a drawing of where all the linkages, gaskets, and component parts go. Correct reassembly is critical.

If the carburetor still doesn't work correctly, you may have to take it to someone who has an "Ultra-sonic" cleaning machine. This machine uses carb cleaner and ultrasonic vibrations to get the very small passageways clean when traditional methods fail.

If you don't feel comfortable with this kind of repair I would suggest sending it to a reputable shop.

Feel free to contact me here at this question anytime ...even after you hit the "ACCEPT" button ...and I will try to help further.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful, Please leave positive feedback this is how I'm rated. Thank

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have already did all of thatSmile

I have already asked for a refund thanks again for your time.

I wish you luck,

At least th repair manual should give you some ideas. There is obviously something wrong with the carburetor or maybe even the valves. This manual should help.

Just a note to you so you will know in the future.

We as experts are here to provide information that is supposed to give you some ideas on what you may be able to do to find out what you might do to correct a problem. It is actually our time that you should be paying for. We are NOT here to completely solve your problem for you. That is ultimately up to you. Just because you did not solve the problem from our answer, does not mean that we did not do our job. Remember, we are not looking at your piece of equipment and can only give suggestions based on the information given to us by the customer. There are many different variables that can enter into what may actually be wrong with the machine. It is not the same as taking a machine to a repair shop and expecting the repairman to completely repair the unit. Again, we are just trying to give a customer IDEAS of what MIGHT be tried.

Thank -you

And if I can be of any more help in the future, pleas contact me again.

Edited by Ranwell1 on 2/1/2010 at 4:26 AM EST

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX but with both experts I was told the same things I had already tried. That is the reason I put in for a refund.

Thanks again for your replyCool

Good luck

I also realize what you said, but it is most likely that both experts were correct. It is very possible that if you were to actually rebuild the carburetor again, you would find the answer this time. Just trying to help.

Ranwell1
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician