Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a Miller welder with an Onan 16hp Performer that in

order to keep it running...
I have a Miller welder with an Onan 16hp Performer that in order to keep it running, I have to pull out the choke about 1/4". I get some surging if it isnt pulled out the exact amount. Thinking that the thing needed cleaning, I removed and dissasembled it and used carb cleaner. It was somewhat dirty. After assembling it, I found a small black ring thicker than a regular o-ring, lying on my workbench but I've yet to find out where it belongs. Apparently it came off the carb, because when I started it up it ran good for a few minutes, then started flooding. Can anyone help on this also where is the best place to get a new carb?
10/8/2009
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician

The problem that you have is that the carburetor is restricted and must be cleaned and overhauled with a complete carburetor repair kit. If thaat isn't what you want ot do you will have to replace the carburetor. The loss of that o-ring may be causing the flooding or it may not be. Most likely it is bypassing the float valve because of wear or dirt between the needle and seat. Below I will give you an answer that will explain in detail what has happened. At least you will understand how it happened.

Here is the Onan website

http://www.cumminsonan.com/

www.cumminsonan.com/engines

Here is a dealer that will sell the parts to you.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/onan_parts_index.cfm

As engines sit or get older, fuel that is left in the carburetor can turn to gum and varnish and cause this and other problems. Also, any gasoline that was left in a gas can for a period of more than 30 days must be discarded because it also has begun to turn to varnish.

Today's gasolines contain MTBE and alcohol. (Ethanol) They turn to "Junk and garbage" very quickly. Alcohol is partially water (H2O). And they call it "Oxygenated fuels! It is the oxygen that breaks down the organic compounds in the fuel and turns the gas to "Garbage" (Gum and varnish) The fuels we had just a few years ago had no alcohol in it and would store for longer periods of time before going stale... and fuel stabilizers do almost nothing to prevent the fuel from going bad with the changes in today's fuels

.

Do not buy gas from the "Discount" Stations. The discount stations get a reduced price on gas because they may be buying fuel that is nearly 30 days old already. You may be getting fuel that's nearly stale right from the pump when buying from a discount station. Purchase your fuel from the well-known stations such as Shell, BP, Sonoco, Phillips 66 etc.

More than 70% of all of our repairs in our lawn mower business are due to this same issue. You most likely have dirt, gum, varnish...etc in your carburetor plugging up the small passageways and jets in the carburetor.

The carburetor must be removed from the engine. Clean all parts with carburetor cleaner and blow out all the small holes and passageways with compressed air. Remove all of the non-metallic parts since the carburetor cleaner will cause them to be disfigured decompose and plug the carburetor as time goes on.

Wash the carburetor cleaner off of the metal parts by washing them in warm, soapy water then rinsing with clean water. Dry them by blowing it off with compressed air. Make sure that all the passageways are blown dry before reassembling.

Reassemble using a NEW carburetor rebuild kit.

DO NOT TRY TO REASSEMBLE WITHOUT USING A COMPLTE CARBURETOR KIT! You will just end up having to do the job again.

ALWAYS clean the fuel tank and replace the fuel line when doing this repair or you may have to do it all over again. The inside of the fuel line disintegrates over time and these small pieces of rubber will plug up the carburetor too. Dirt and water from a dirty fuel tank will also plug up the carburetor. Find the Model, type and serial or code numbers off of the engine and take them to your local dealer to get the carburetor repair kit.

If you do the work yourself, take pictures or at least make a drawing of where all the linkages, gaskets, and component parts go. Correct reassembly is critical.

If the carburetor still doesn't work correctly, you may have to take it to someone who has an "Ultra-sonic" cleaning machine. This machine uses carb cleaner and ultrasonic vibrations to get the very small passageways clean when traditional methods fail.

If you don't feel comfortable with this kind of repair I would suggest sending it to a reputable shop.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful,Please leave positive feedback this is how I'm rated. Thanks

Edited by Ranwell1 on 10/8/2009 at 1:57 AM EST
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Hey, I appreciate your very informative instructions. I have tried the website that you gave me plus a lot of others and I haven't been able to locate either a kit or a carb. The part # XXXXX(NNN) NNN-NNNN I found a carb from one person but it was a different #--he said it would fit but it would run too rich. There is no mixture adjustment on this carb. I will mark accept.

I will see if I can find another source for this carb or kit. If I can, I will come back to this question and give you the information.

Thanks for the accept, but I really wasn't expecting it utill I could help you.

I just got some new information from one of my peers.

That carb number is XXXXX to(NNN) NNN-NNNNand is $131.24 from Cummins.You can go to www.cumminsonan.com/locator to enter Your ZIP code to find the nearest Cummins distributor/dealer. Any of of them can order it for you.

Thanks

Edited by Ranwell1 on 10/8/2009 at 5:03 AM EST
Ranwell1
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician