J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

TORO/WHEELHORSE MODEL#71227 16/38HXL(hydrostatic), WHILE REPLACING

TORO/WHEELHORSE MODEL#71227 16/38HXL(hydrostatic), WHILE REPLACING THE DRIVE BELT w, THE DECK OFF AND THE MACHINE TURNED OVER, WHILE REMOVING THE CENTER IDLER PULLY AND SUCH TO REMOVE THE OLD BELT, A SPRING ABOUT 4" LONG, ABOUT 2" FROM 1 END HOOKS, THE OTHER SIDE OF HOOKS IMMEADIATELY CAME OFF SOMEWHERE, I CAN'T FIND WHERE IT GOES! I HAVE GONE CRAZY W/THIS ALL DAY, ANY IDEAS?
One end of the spring hooks in a hole in the frame and the other hooks to the long bolt that sticks down below the pulley.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I'm gonna go out to the garage and try it now.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok, im out here now, the spring is about 8-10" long 1 end is bent binto almost a v shape, exacty where in the frame and which end?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i been there earlier, cant make out wher it attaches to the frame

OK,

Go to TORO.COM. At the lower left you will see a box that says homeowner parts. Click on this and it will bring up another page with a box to enter the model number. Enter your model number. The next page will list all years for your tractor. Select the one that matches your serail number and click on it. The next page that open will have a red box that says manuals. Click on this. It will bring up another page. Srcoll down and you will see the toro xl service manual Click on it. It is 25 mb so it may take a while. Go to the hydro drive belt section and it should have the picture to show you in detail. Let me know. I will be out until late. I will check in the AM.