Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a TROY-BILT mower with a Briggs & Stratton Quantum 120000

Customer Question
model series 6.75 HP engine...
I have a TROY-BILT mower with a Briggs & Stratton Quantum 120000 model series 6.75 HP engine. I recently was mowing and caught some plant animal shield netting with mower which stalled it out. Since this happened mower runs for about one minute to five minutes and stalls out. It can be restarted within half a minute to one minute and will continue cycle of stalling. At times mower will run longer approx 20 minutes. I have new spark plug, air filter, and fresh fuel. I have checked metering jet in bottom of float bowl which wasn't in need of cleaning and had no resin build up.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
9/4/2009
Technician: CJBennett, Small Engine Technician replied 8 years ago
CJBennett
CJBennett, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Sounds like you may have sheared your flywheel key. When this happens the timing of the engine is knocked off. You will have to remove the fuel tank, and recoil starter. Then remove the nut that holds the flywheel on. Briggs makes a special puller to remove the flywheel. But with the flywheel nut removed you can look at the key and see if it's sheared.

CJ

I'am unemployed and need to do this repair as cheaply as possible. I'am handy but not a technician, do you think I should atempt to do this repair myself and if so, where should I go to get the flywheel puller and key and are they expensive to purchase. Also if you think I could do this repair myself I might need some illustrations and would need help finding them.

The part number for the puller is 19069, It's around $10, and you can buy it at any mower shop. The flywheel key is about a $1. The gas tank is held on by 3 screws in the top and 1 bolt on the side by the gas line. The recoil starter is held on by 4 screws, 2 in the front and 2 in the back. The flywheel is held in by 1 nut. It's a 15/16. You can do it, just take your time a pay attention to where everything goes.

CJ

I'am going out to try to find the items needed to repair the mower this afternoon. I will respond to the acceptance for payment later today. Forgot to tell you the year when I purchased mower is 2005. My phone number is XXXXX if you need to call me. Thanks for your assistance to this point, I will respond later todayCustomer
I'll be here.

I'am back from disasembly of engine to inspect for sheared key way, it appears to be normal in groove of crankshaft and flywheel. Not sure what to do at this point, do you have anymore suggestions as to what could be the problem.

I sent the above reply and never received a responce to it other then a responce looking for me to accept the repair answer that did not fix my mower. I went on vacation 9/11 thur 9/15, and after my return within a weeks time I just reassembled my mower and for some reason I was able to cut my lawn without it stalling out. Last week thursday 10/1 I attemped to cut my lawn again and the mower was stalling out every 4 to 6 passes of cutting, each time it would restart after approxiametly one minute after stall out. I did complete the cutting taking alot more time then it should have with all the stalls and restarts, I have three tenths of an acre which made it possible to deal with the condition. Last week I also received my credit card statement and noticed that the agreed amount for an accepted repair answer had been charged to my account, without my acceptance of the repair answer responce that I had received, and with no responce to my last reply which states that the keyway was not sheared and what should I try next. Please respond as soon as possible, since I have paid for an answer and my mower still has the same problem. Thanks againCustomer

Sounds like you still have a fuel problem. You could possibly have a gas cap that is not venting. When it goes to stall out loosen the cap and see if it picks back up. If that doesn't fix it then the carb will have to be checked out. Remove the float bowl and check for dirt floating around in there. Run a wire through the brass jet that holds the float bowl on. Make sure nothing is plugging up that small hole in the brass jet. Try this and let me know.

Your card was charged the deposit. It is in your JA account now. I don't get paid till you hit accept.

CJ

Yesterday I started mower it ran for approx 2 minutes then went to stall I loosened the fuel cap it made no difference mower stalled out. I have previously had float bowl off and inspected metering jet with no dirt in bowl and no resin buildup in jet. As far as a carb problem goes, the mower ran fine all summer until I hit the plastic netting that protects the plants from deer and other animals from eating them, then the stalling problems started. Yesterday the mower started ran for 2 min stalled and couldn't be started for one min, ran for 2 min stalled again and couldn't be started again for one min. Previously the mower has run for longer periods of time before stalling out, with the restart time always being about one minute. The mower does seem to give off strong exhaust fumes, but it doesn't smoke. A little knowledge about myself, I've been in the automotive parts dept field for appox 30 years. I don't know what else to tell you, don't think it's a carb problem. Talk with you soon, hope you can help. ThanksCustomer

I'll have to opt out, I'm out of ideas.

CJ

CJBennett
CJBennett
CJBennett, Small Engine Technician