Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

hi.engine turns over , uses up primer fuel, then dies like…

Customer Question
hi.engine turns over , uses...
hi.engine turns over , uses up primer fuel, then dies like its not getting fuel or something
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Small Engine
9/1/2009
Technician: PK., Small Engine Technician replied 13 years ago
PK.
PK., Small Engine Technician
You have a carburetor problem most likely. What's the model and type number of the engine? Thanks, PK.
briggs and stratton 500 series.po500n22sc do i need to clean carburator?

That's not the model and type number. They will be stamped into the sheet metal, probably on the starter housing at the head of the engine.

You may need to clean the carburetor, but the particular engine you have may have other things you need to check as well. That's why it's important to id your exact engine. There's several thousand different Briggs 5hp engines so we have to narrow it down a bit. Thanks, PK.

model     961180002 00   po500n22sc     briggs and stratton 158cc

Is the carburetor mounted on the gas tank and made of plastic? 96118 is not coming up as a good Briggs model number. Was this stamped into the sheet metal or on a label?

stamped on sheet metal plate. it is the only number .there are no numbers anyplace else. yes, carb is on gas tank and is plastic

This carburetor has a diaphragm between the tank and carburetor. This will need to be replaced. The carburetor will also need to be cleaned. There is an O-ring with a white retainer on the intake manifold side of the carburetor, this O-ring needs to replaced. Also, see that the intake manifold is tight, you can just try and move it while you have the carb off. If it shakes, then it will need to come off, be cleaned and have a new gasket installed. Many are plastic and have to be replaced.

To remove the carburetor, remove the gas tank. There will be one bolt on the side of the engine, and one on the head side that need to come off. The linkage on the carburetor can be left hanging, just twist the carb and tank to remove it from the carburetor.

There will be five screws that hold the carb onto the tank. There will be a gasket and diaphragm between the tank and carb and a spring on the carburetor. There will be a screen sleeve on the fuel nozzle pick up that is removeable. The long pick-up tube does not have to come off.

Take the screen sleeve off of the nozzle and the spring and set them aside. Sometimes the screen tears in half and has to be replaced. You can just use spray type carb cleaner to hose the carburetor out, be sure to spray up in the nozzle. Also, spray out the tank and the little fuel bowl in the top of the tank. Then just reassemble in reverse of how it came apart.

Clean the air filter with hot soapy water, let it dry, and squeeze a little engine oil into it.

This is a basic little carburetor that's very easy to work with. Occasionally we have to replace them and about one out of every hundred the intake is loose. The parts needed for this repair are about ten dollars and available from any shop that sells Briggs and Stratton parts as well as pretty much any online parts supplier. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks, PK.