Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

my tecumseh 6hp powersport has a small miss ever since it was

Customer Question
flipped. i drained oil and...
my tecumseh 6hp powersport has a small miss ever since it was flipped. i drained oil and fuel and cleaned system.since i have taken it to a small engine shop near home. they replaced the carb, but engine is still missing and brand new clutch will not engage.it has good spark as it starts on first pull as it has since we flipped it. do you have any ideas. small engine repairman is out of ideas and so am i. thx dave
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
8/29/2009
Technician: Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer replied 8 years ago
Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer

If he actually "adjusted" the carb, that might be the problem. This carburetor is completely non-adjustable. Lets start by checking the idle screw on the side of the carburetor to see if it may have been loosened. The screw should be all the way in, as it's simply a fixed jet.

Was it flipped before or after the tune-up?

Let me know and we'll continue.

tune up was done after flip as there was gas in oil. and by adjusting carb i mean setting idle screw. i know agood bit about engines as i worked for 13 yrs for elliott/marino motorsports out of dawsonville,ga as superspeedway fab/ over wall gas man for jerry nadeau and bill, but this has me and everyone i know baffled.including the small engine shop i took it to. the miss in the motor is @ 1800-2000 rpm and the new clutch will not engage.valves were adjusted to specs. i am at a loss. thx dave

Idle speed, or idle mixture?

What is the float height set at?

there is no adjustment on float that i can see. it has 1 set of holes that the pin goes thru.

There should be a metal tab on the float the needle hangs onto by a wire. The metal tab is the adjustment. The float should tilt slightly down with the hinge pin being the high side. Use an 11/64" drill bit as a gauge between the end of the float opposite the hinge pin and the body of the carburetor with the gasket removed.

This pic illustrates what I mean:

graphic

Also, is the idle screw at the side all the way in? It's pretty common for it to be loosened as an attempt to adjust, so I just want to be sure. That would interfere with the transition between idle and high speed.

was kicked off line.idle screw is all way in.also float is ok

How old is the fuel that you're running?

fresh out of my tanker as of wednesday.fuel came from motiva a supplier for shell and had no ethanol. i drive a fuel tanker for pope transportation. everything from fuel tank to fuel lines have been cleaned out.
The jet in the carburetor bowl nut is nice and clean? Both through the top and through the side?
its new and i have cleaned fuel system completely inside and out before carb was ever changed and its still doing same thing as the old carb. can't imagine the old carb and new carb would cause the same miss new and old.
What are the valves set at? Have you checked for a sticking guide?
don't know ? they were set at stanly power equipment were i took it for carb. i think intake @ .005 and exaust @.007 not sure . if it was off wouldn't it make noise

Should be .004" on both. If they're set a tad loose it wouldn't make noise, but it would slightly reduce the amount of time each valve is open.

Does this miss occur over level ground? Or rough? Or does it matter? Do you see any recurring circumstance in which it seems to happen?

Don't know why I didn't ask beofre. Must have been a longer week than I though. Since it flipped, has anyone checked the flywheel key and the coil air gap?
both cant seem to get cart to move. just had an idea ....not that is worth much. with a jolt like what happened with flip. could governor be pushed back out of adjustment causing the motor to lack the the power to fully engage the clutch( clutch is egaging in air with no pressure) and make it seem like a miss when in actuallity its not achieving full throtle.

That possible, but I would have thought the tech would have checked the governor. Is this using a centrifugal clutch or a torque converter? Do you know what rpms the engine is attaining? Most centrifugal clutches like Comet will engage around 1850-2200 rpms. If you damaged the spring in the flip, that could cause erratic engagement.

graphic

tech did not check that. as a matter of fact i mentioned it when i picked it up today and he made light of it.( while i was showing him it wasn't running right) rpm are right at engagement point @before it sounds like it misses. clutch starts to engage but can't pull my son off. @ 1800 rpm at miss. we run revlimiters in my latemodel and it pops off when it hits 7800 rpm. the sound is kind of similar, but not as pronounced. also after miss when no weight on axels the miss plans out ,but it doesnot pick up much more rpms.
I would disconnect the engine from the final drive and see how it acts. That would isolate whether the engine or the drive system was the problem.
didn,t hook up final drive till just now. i loosened screw on governor ,opened throtle all way (off) andturned gov allway to left and retightened and motor plained out alot and idle rpms came up.so i put cart on ground and tried it and it was close to pulling me, but just lacked that little bit. didn't take off ,but was pulling.

You can bend the tabs indicated by the arrow to adjust high and low speed. Left tab adjusts high speed, right adjusts low. Bending tabs to the left decreases, bending to right increases.

graphic

Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
man you have been on this a while and i appreciate all your time.governor is the problem. i am just going to have to twike it alittle . when i bent the tabs it came to life.can't belive it was so simple.thx for your work.
You are so very welcome. Glad the info helped.
Rick
Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer