Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My craftsman 18hp riding lawn tractor wont stay running.

Customer Question

My craftsman 18hp riding lawn tractor won't stay running. It turns over. It will start while choked but then stalls right out. It started to fail by running very rough then stalling. It all happened while mowing. What's wrong with my fuel system?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 8 years ago.
How old is the fuel in the tank?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It's new fuel and had been running all summer up to a few days ago.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 years ago.
Does it continue to run if you partially choke it?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No. Can't keep it running. When it first started to fail I could keep it running for 10 seconds or so but now it seems like when the fuel is gone from the initial choke, it stall out.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 years ago.
It sounds like a plugged carburetor. If yu shut off the fuel and take off the carburetor bowl do you see any sediment or varnish?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Rick G. I'm sorry to say that it wasn't a blugged carb or varnish. Attached to the bottom of the carb bowl is an electronic something or other. It has a plunger on it and the nipple on the end of the plunger was off and floating around. I replaced that nipple back onto the end of the plunger and presto....IT WORKS. This is the same thing that the tech a few years ago found. I just couldn't remember where it was or how he got to it. Anyway, this is an awesome site that I'd never heard of before but will definatley need it in the future. And if I have any small engine issues (and I'm sure I will), you Rick G. will be my go to Expert! Thank you.
Terry
Expert:  Rick replied 8 years ago.
Glad you found it. That was where we were going next. That's the fuel shutoff solenoid. Hope to hear from you in the future. Have a fine one!