Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I own a mtd yard machines model number 13AG601H729 serial #

XXXXX for some reason it...
I own a mtd yard machines model number 13AG601H729 serial # XXXXX for some reason it starts but then it turn off by itself. We took the battery to ge recharged thinking that was the problem. We put it back on, that didn't fix the problem. The tractor sounds like if it's going to start but it's doesn't. We also noticed that the rear wheel got lock, we can't push the tractor forward manually. I was told by a friend that there's a safety switch underneath the tractor on some tractors that lock the wheels, but we couldn't find it. Please help what can be wrong. Hope this makes sense.
8/23/2009
Technician: Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician replied 12 years ago
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician

Here is a parts list for your tractor.

http://www.dixiesales.com/ipl/339/13ag601h729%20new%20post.pdf

There is no switch on your tractor that will cause it to lock up lie you mentioned.

You have one of two problems.

Either you have a locked up.broken transaxle or your parking brake is stuck on at the transaxle.

The reason it starts and dies is most likely that the carburetor is restricted.

As engines sit or get older, fuel that is left in the carburetor can turn to gum and varnish and cause this and other problems.

Also, any gasoline that was left in a gas can for a period of more than 30 days must be discarded because it also has begun to turn to varnish.

More than 70% of all of our repairs in our lawn mower business are due to this same issue. You most likely have dirt, gum, varnish...etc in your carburetor plugging up the small passageways and jets in the carb. It Must be removed from the engine, cleaned very well, blown out with compressed air and reassembled using a NEW carburetor rebuild kit. ALWAYS clean the fuel tank and replace the fuel line when doing this repair or you may have to do it all over again. The inside of the fuel line disintegrates over time and these small pieces of rubber will plug up the carb too. Dirt and water from a dirty fuel tank will also plug up the carb. Find the Model, type and serial or code numbers off of the engine and take them to your local dealer to get the carb kit.

If the parking brake is stuck on at the transaxle. Can I realese it myself?

You should be able to release it yourself. Follow the linkage from the brake peddal down to the transmission. It will hook into the brake lever on the transaxle. Move that small lever back and forth many times and see if that helps. If it doesn't, you will have to remove the back wheel and take the brake apart and clean the corrosion off of it. This happens quite often if the owner leaves the unit outside in the rain or washes the mower with water.

NEVER WASH ANY MOWER OR ANY PART OF ANY MOWER WITH WATER!!!!!

This is the second leading cause of catastrophic mower failure.

If I were guessing, though, I would guess that you have a bad transmission.

Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician