Delsley Jr
Delsley Jr, Mechanic
Experience:  Handyman & Small engine repair Business owner
13864765

My riding lawn mower wont start. I replaced the battery but

My riding lawn mower won't start. I replaced the battery but it doesn't even click, the light doesn't come on... nothing.
HiCustomer.. How old is your mower and what brand is it ? The lights won't burn when the key is turned on ?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The mower is a Poulan/Weedeater, OHV XL/C 15hp, 42" cut, it's probably 10 years old? The model # XXXXX the plate is 263-011, it has a Tecumsah engine.. I took the battery to be tested, it was completely dead so I put in a new one. It still won't even click, the lights do not come on, absolutely nothing. It was fine last weekend.
I would suggest checking the ground connections from the battery to the frame also if you have a tester see if your getting any power to the key switch on it. It may just be a bad ground on it.   
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How do I do that?
Just check the ground wire that runs from the battery to the frame or engine and make sure the 2 surfaces are clean and tighten it up good if that does not help you will have to get a electrical tester and check the wires going to the starter switch to see if it has power to it, check all the wire on the switch. If it has power to it then most likely you have a bad switch or solenoid on it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Are the switch/solenoid easy to replace? I have absolutely no experience but willing to try? Can I get those at an auto parts store if needed?
Yes there easy to change. I don't know on your auto parts in your area but most of them on my area don't only have spark plugs, I would suggest going to a small engine repair shop to get parts.