Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Where can I buy rebuild kit for John Deere 318 engine?

I have JD 318 W/18 hp Onan. Where can I buy a rebuild kit ?

The ONAN engine parts for the John Deeres are getting hard to find. There are several parts that have been obsolete for a while now and the parts that are available are really expensive. Most owners who have good tractors with bad engines are re-powering them. This may not be what you are looking to do, but it may be the best alternative. See attached link for details.

http://www.jimsrepairjimstractors.com/john-deere-lawn-tractor.htm

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I already know that the rebuild kit is expensive, I asked to know where I can buy the rebuild kit, an 18 hp Onan is an 18 hp Onan engine whether it is in a JD or whatever it is installed in. There has to be one somewhere, these engines was manufactured for years, there has to be atleast rings, rod, bearings, gasket's, etc. somewhere?

See attached link. They will let you know what you can still get.

http://www.m-and-d.com/Onan_parts.html

You can order parts directly from Onan. Go to www.cumminsonan.com and input your ZIP code. It will list all authorized dealers near you, as well as the regional Cummins distributor. The Cummins distributor will ship the parts directly to you. You will need to provide them the full model number of your engine.
Without knowing your model number, I cannot know what parts are or are not available. But it has been my experience with most older models that most, if not all, parts are still available for the engines.

Hank F., Technician
Experience: Certified on Onan and Generac generators