J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

I have a 12.5 hp Briggs engine on a Murray riding mower. It

I have a 12.5 hp Briggs engine on a Murray riding mower. It won't start. Batery is Ok.
Why won't it stat? Starter Maybe?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 8 years ago.
What are the model numbers off of the unit and the engine?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I cant find model # XXXXX engine. have already looked
Expert:  J.R. replied 8 years ago.
What does it do when you turn the key? Do you get a click? Does the engine try to turn? Does the engine spin but it will not start?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

doesn/t do anything, maybe just a click but nothing else. still cant find model # XXXXX engine, but # XXXXX unit is 405011x92a. It is a Murray riding mower. engine is 12.5 hp

Expert:  J.R. replied 8 years ago.
Take the spark plug out and then try to crank it over and see what it does. Let me know.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Took Plug out. Nothing. Will have starter checked to see if it is any good. It may be bad
Expert:  J.R. replied 8 years ago.
I wanted you to take the spark plug out to rule out compression of the engine. If you are getting a click I would start with the solenoid. You can jump the 2 large terminals on the solenoid and see if it will crank. If it does you know the battery is good as well as the starter.