Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

How to repair front wheel drive on Toro 22 recycler 20005

How to repair front wheel drive on Toro 22" recycler 20005 - Wheels turn intermittenly - replaced keys and springs on both sides of shaft and it has a new belt (which doesn't seem tight enough).

Hello

At this point you have basically rebuilt your drive system,my first thought goes too the belt,if it is in place properly and has some tention on it but will still not drive your mower,i would try a belt one size smaller to put more tention on it,makeing sure it is not slipping and will drive your mower.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The belt is the correct one ordered from Toro for this model, how do we find one smaller but not too small that would fit correctly? Could it be anything in the transmission?

Hello again

Thank you for your responce,i like to try the least expencive fix first,before you condem the transmission you could go to a UAP,or any auto parts store and they will measure your belt and be able to tell you the next size down.I think it is possible that toro may have made a mistake,your wheels are turning however if you do not have enough tention on the belt it will slip causeing your problem. If the machine is turned off try if possible to move the belt in the pullies,if you find that you can make it slip by hand you do not have enough tention.Be sure you have enough tention on the belt before,thinking about the transmission ok? Thank you

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Actually the belt does move the wheels. I don't really see any slippage and I am thinking it could be the pinion that is worn.

I hate to butt in here Donerightmotors, but I am a long-time Toro dealer. We buy these transmissions by the case for these specially-made for the discount store Toro mowers. The average for them to stop working is usually less than 3 years. If the Toro belt that you put on does not fix the problem, don't waste your time and money trying to fix it. Replace ther transimission and get it over with. Tke your modle and serial number to a toro dealer and buy a transmission. I am not at our shop now or I could give you the part number for them. DO NOT TRY TO GET A DIFFERENT SIZE BELT THAN THE ORIGINAL you will only cause more problems.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful,Please leave positive feedback this is how I'm rated. Thanks

Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience: I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the info. We bought another non Toro belt but luckily we can return it since it did not help. We have replaced the pinion, belt (we are putting the new Toro belt back on) and both keys and springs on the shaft. Our next step is to take your advice and replace the transmission. I was recently laid off so anytime we can "diy" it's a big help since mowing lawns is a source of income right now. I'll let you know how this turns out.
Thanks Good luck.