johanes jake
johanes jake, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  25 years self employed in small motor repairs. briggs/husqvarna agent
20427468

I have a 1994 or 1995 Mercury pro series 40 hp. serial # XXXXX

I have a 1994 or 1995 Mercury pro series 40 hp. serial # XXXXX .warning buzzer beeped on morning after starting, found voltage regulator to be burnt ENGINE WAS NOT EVEN WARM
upon further inspection found both yellow wires at bullet connections had melted together behind starter. Have orered new voltage regulator, repaired burnt wires , but can not find out what these two yellow wires go to. Voltage regulator has 2 yellow 2 red and 1 grey wire.
Motor runs fine with used voltage regulator rpms fine charging fine but beeping continues.
any help would be apprecitated. Thank you
<p>hello. yellow wires go to stator under flywheel. this is where your charging power is generated. thet then go to your regulator. the red wires are battery power and the gray goes to your rev counter</p>
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Would the 2 yellow wires being found burnt together cause the regulator to burn out?

I think it is a orignal regulator cause it is clear being able to see the board melted , I was told by boat dealer the newer regulators are dark and unseen through. I quess the question is what do you think happened first? Would a regulator going bad cause these two wires to melt together? After all repairs were made to the wires correctly should I

replace with new regulator with out fear of burning it up. If so will it stop warning beeper.

Thank-You

<p>the two wires shorting together should not cause the reg damage. those regs did give a bit og a problem. test the two yellow wires with ohm meter. they should have no circuit to earth. you should also have a low ohm reading between the two yellow wires.</p><p>the beeping is a separate problem.</p>
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
First I would like to thank you, XXXXX XXXXX finish this is a bass Tracker 19ft 8 that has brought me alot of joy. Do you know what elese would come through that warning censor (the beeping) . That I should check Thanks for all your help. All my friends say just disconnect it that is why I asked a expert! One more thing could you tell what year this motor is by the serial# XXXXX my title says it is a 1994? I am the third owner
is the beep a continuous one or an on/off one. the year would be about 94/95. dont disconnect alarm. it is there for your protection.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it is continous What do you think it could be?
remember if you are happy with our answers to click accept button as we dont get paid for our work otherwise......does the alarm stay going with the motor running
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes it does
<p>disconnect tan/blue wire which goes into head. what happens then</p>
thats fine. see what we can fit in.