Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

What is the procedure for replacing the transmission belt (MTD

Customer Question
(NNN) NNN-NNNN on the Cub...
What is the procedure for replacing the transmission belt (MTD (NNN) NNN-NNNN on the Cub Cadet GT2150 garden tractor? Do I need any special tools to do this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
7/17/2009
Technician: Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer replied 8 years ago
Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer

Can you please give me the complete model and serial number to verify which Cub GT2150 you have? It should be under the seat or under the hood.

Thank you,

Rick

GT2150
14AJ816H190     model
1C300H10473     serial
Did you get my answer?

I'm needing clarification, please. I'm showing(NNN) NNN-NNNNto be the PTO deck belt, not the transmission belt?

I may have the wrong belt. The tractor does not move when I press the pedal. That last time this happened I was told it was the transmission belt, which someone else replaced for me. So, if I have the wrong belt, my question is the same, how would I replace the transmission belt? thanks, don
I also have MTD(NNN) NNN-NNNN I figured it must be one of the two.
The transmission belt routes to the upper engine pulley above the PTO. I felt confident that I had a service manual on this unit in my library so that I could provide step-by-step instructions to you with illustrations. But I'm not finding anything on that particular set-up. It's been a few years since I've torn into that model, and I don't want to risk guiding you from memory. I'm going to opt-out of this question in the hopes one of the other experts will pick this question up quickly and run with it.
OK, I will wait to see. thanks, don
Technician: J.R., Small Engine Technician replied 8 years ago
J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
The drive line on the 2150 does not use belts. The tractor is shaft drive.

Hi Jr, I do not see how that can be. The last time this was fixed the shop said they replaced the transmission belt. Also, in the parts lists in the paperwork that comes with the tractor there are two different drive belts that you can buy, and I bought both of them, just in case. Could it be that there is a direct drive, but something else is called the "transmission belt"? thanks, don
I have never seen a cub cadet 2000 series that was belt driven. The deck is driven by a belt, but the transmission should have a drive shaft.
It is a "Hydrostatic Garden Tractor," if that helps. Actually, I just found a manual online that included instructions for "CHANGING THE TRANSMISSION DRIVE BELT" on pages 20 and 21. I am sorry for having wasted your time. don
Technician: PK., Small Engine Technician replied 8 years ago
PK.
PK., Small Engine Technician

Is this a White or a Cub Cadet? That MTD model number, 14AJ816H190, is for a White GT 2150, not a Cub Cadet.

The Cub is a shaft drive.

The White uses motion belt(NNN) NNN-NNNN

It is a White. I didn't know there was a difference, since I keep seeing Cub Cadet showing up on the MTD parts that I look up from the White manual. I would be willing to "accept" your answers at this point.
Belt(NNN) NNN-NNNNis the superceded number for belt(NNN) NNN-NNNN MTD makes both the White and the Cub, but there are considerable differences in them. One of which is the drive system. Cub is supposed to be the MTD flagship and has nicer features than the rest of the MTD lines. JR or Rick should be able to help you with any question you might have about installing the belt now that this little mix-up is resolved. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Engine Mentor.
OK. Since I now see the procedure in an operator's manual, it seems that the only sensitive thing is to use a torque wrench when reassembling? I guess I can borrow one. Anything else to watch out for?
<p>See attached link for a diagram of the routing. You will need to remove the deck to make the job easier. Once you have the deck removed. You will need to loosen the pulley on the bottom of the engine so it can drop down. Push the clutch and it will relase the tension off of the belt. Pull it off of the idlers and tranny and then put the new one on.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p><a href="http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=white_outdoor&mn=14AJ816H190+GT-2150+%282000%29&dn=0029500004" target="_blank">http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=white_outdoor&mn=14AJ816H190+GT-2150+%282000%29&dn=0029500004</a></p>
J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
J.R.
J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician