Donerightmotors
Donerightmotors, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  30 years in the field,i have my own shop with many happy customers,quick to analize and repair
19349627

I have a John Deere 4100 Tractor, that for some reason will

Customer Question

I have a John Deere 4100 Tractor, that for some reason will not start. I had been using it just minutes before, got off of it without turning it off with the key, letting the switch in the seat turn it off. I came back about 15 minutes later to discover that I had left the key "on". I tried to start it and got absolutely nothing except a click. the console lights come on when I turn the key and I can switch on the hazards but I do not get a peep out of the engine when I turn the key. it never even tries to start. I tried to jump start the battery but even with my car hooked up I get no response from the 4100 engine at all. I've made sure it fully in neutral, and the fueal and air filters were change 3 months ago. is it the battery? or did something more ominous happen?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donerightmotors replied 8 years ago.

Hi

seems like it was running you got off and the seat switch shut it off,i am thinking that sence it has not started after that the seat switch could be messing around with you,you have checked every thing but that at this point,i hope this is helpfull too you i am here to help if we are not on the right track.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your answer. Aside from the safety aspect, Is the presence of the switch neccassary to start the tractor under normal conditions? in other words, if the tractor was running fine and I took the seat switch out would I still be able to operate the tractor (minus the safety feature)? I'm curious because if I take the switch out and the tractor still doesn't start I couldn't be sure it was the switch. right?

I hope that made sense. Smile

Hello again!

thank you for yor feed back,it helps alot....if you leave about 3 inches of wire on the switch and cut the wires,try winding them together and by pass the switch,if she starts you have your problem if not from there we can move on and look in the next place. I am here if you need further assistance,if we have found the solution please push accept

Thank you DRM