Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

My grasshopper 721D when both steering arms are pushed forward

Customer Question

My grasshopper 721D when both steering arms are pushed forward is slower on one side than the other is there an adjustment to the speed of the hydrostatic transmission?

When I let go of the arms the both come back to the neutral position so it doesn't look like its a linkage problem.

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Scott replied 8 years ago.

there is a linkage adjustment if it is way off let me know but more often the problem is tire pressure. if one tire is off the mower will drive slow on one side.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The tires are the same pressure it seems as if there is not enought hydraulic pressure it is sluggish. I just changed filters on transmissions also. Any other idea's?

Expert:  Scott replied 8 years ago.
did you also change the oil and what type
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The oil waschanged as well back to the grasshopper recommended oil. Is there a pressure adjustment on those pumps?

Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 8 years ago.

I don't want to step on another experts question, but one of the problems we have sometimes is that people try to get filters from a place other than the original grasshopper dealer. If these filters are NOT the correct ones, the valve inside won't let the hydro's work properly. Check the filters and replace with OEM filters.

Other than that, there are a couple of other things to check.

1. One of the hydro's could be weak and may not be long for this world. You may have to replace or repair one or both of the hydro's $$$$$$$$

2. I'm not sure if this applies to your model or not but some of the ZTR's have chains running the back wheels. If someone has repaired one of the chains and taken a link out of one of them, it will run faster than the other side.

3. You could have a belt slipping.

Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience: I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.