J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

Lawn mower will start but wont come up in rpms wont run

Lawn mower will start but won't come up in rpm's won't run for very long. New gas new plug. Any suggestions?
What is the model numbers off of the engine? The problem is most likely a dirty carb.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It's a Brigg's Staton 4.5 push mower that's all the numbers I can find. Bowens Mower,not sure if spelling is right. Should I just try a carberator cleaner or does it need to be a gas additive?
The carb will need to be removed and cleaned. The model number will located on the metal housing that covers the engine, your engine may have a plastic cover on top. Look at the fron of the engine where the spark plug is and the numbers will be on the vertical surface of the thin sheet metal housing that covers the engine and hold the starter.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Mod.# XXXXX

Type 0217 81

Code 03091751

Bolens 4.5

J.R.

These are the numbers. I think your right while I was waiting for your replay I tried a spray carb cleaner just for something to do and it did help to a point but not much.

Is this a repair I can do or is this a shop job. The guy I use is almost as expensive as replacement with new stuff. I have a small yard so this is a pain.

See attached link and go to page 4. The problem is most likely the diaphragm in the carb. It is a pretty easy repair.

http://www.odref.com/briggsandstratton/model-10/10G900-ms5549-0403.pdf

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Just a final note.My computer is working as well as my mower. It keeps dropping the link. At any rate thanks for the help I found this interesting. I want to mack sure that J.R. was paid for his effort. Thanks.

I do not get paid until you hit the green accept button. Are you located in PA?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, South Hills of Pittsburgh. I will hit accept with this responce. Again,thank you.
Thanks for the accept. I am located close to Wheeling, WV. Since we have no good football teams in Ohio I root for out of state. Go STEELERS.