Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a Honda HRX217HMA lawnmower with a GVC190 engine. Very

Customer Question
well taken care of. New...
I have a Honda HRX217HMA lawnmower with a GVC190 engine. Very well taken care of. New air filter, fresh gas, clean oil. Stored in heated garage for the winter. Starts first time and runs fine as long as throttle is in choke position. As soon as you back off the choke it begins surging. Will continue to run at full speed but surges. Will not idle. When I engage the blade at full speed the surging stops and it runs fine but the surging starts again as soon as the blade in disengaged. Checked, cleaned and regaped plug to .030-no help... Any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
4/11/2009
Technician: Delsley Jr, Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Delsley Jr
Delsley Jr, Mechanic
HiCustomer I would suggest pulling the carb apart and cleaning it. It sounds like the jets are getting plugged up inside of it. I would pull it apart and clean out the small holes in the jets with a fine wire and then spray it out with a good carb cleaner. The carb getting plugged up will cause the problem that your having.
Delsley Jr
Delsley Jr, Mechanic
Delsley Jr., It may very well be that the carb needs to be cleaned up. Nevertheless   when I went out to do that I noticed that there is a shaft coming out of the bottom of the crankcase with a long arm on it that is tied to the carb. throttle plate. This arm moves in sync with the surging. If I hold this arm steady with my hand the surging stops and the engine runs smooth and I can regulate the RMP with this arm in a smooth/even fashion. It would seem to me that if this were a carb problem the surging would continue even with this arm held steady.

Questions:

1. what is the purpose of this arm?

2. Is this causing the surging?

3. If so, how to fix?
OK this the governor it helps maintain speed under varying loads and limits maximum speed. I don't think it is causing the problem of it surging. By holding it still helps clear up the problem some but it is all connected to a dirty carb. I would still clean the carb good and clean the small holes in the jets with a fine wire spray carb cleaner through them and spray the inside of the carb good. There is a product called SeaFoam that you can pick up at wal-mart and most auto parts that help keeps the carb clean and I would recommend using some after you get the carb cleaned, you just add it to the gas and you can also add it to the motor oil to help keep every thing working good .
Ok- will do. I always use Chevron Techron to keep things clean. Seems to work well in all gasoline applications.
OK thanks for using Just Answer
Delsley Jr
Delsley Jr
Delsley Jr, Mechanic