Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a John Deere L110 automatic lawn tractor. It has not…

Customer Question
I have a John Deere...
I have a John Deere L110 automatic lawn tractor. It has not been used since the last season and has been stored uncovered outside all winter. When I started it up today and started to drive it, the steering was so stiff I could not turn the wheels. I lubricated the front wheel lube joints, but no help. What is my problem?
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Small Engine
4/11/2009
Technician: agco tech, Mechanic replied 13 years ago
agco tech
agco tech, Mechanic

have u check ur power steering fluid, as they way u describe it has power steering.

thanks

ricky

No sir, I have not checked power steering fluid.

This tractor is a small lawn tractor, not a heavy equipment agricultural tractor.

I have lost my owner's manual, but I am pretty sure it does not have power steering, just a simple gear type steering mechanism.

i wouldn't think it would have power steering just the way u described it in ur answer, have u greased ur spidles also might be a good idea to lift it up in air work it back and forth while spraying lubrication on it.

I had to go to work and couldn't try your suggestion. I'll see if I can do it sometime tomorrow, although I'm not sure how to raise it up since I don't have a lift. I'll also have to figure out how to remove the mowing deck to actually see the steering mechanism from underneath.

Thanks. I may have to ask you again if this does not work, so I'm not ready to press Accept button yet.

I'm sorry, but my expectations were not met by the reply for my question from your expert.

First of all, I had already stated in my question that I had tried the things he suggested, and secondly, I don't think he has any better knowledge of my specific lawn tractor than I do. I had assumed he might have access to a technical manual for the tractor that I did not have which might explain how to fix my steering problem.

Unless you have more specific suggestions, I don't think this was worth $15.

Technician: Rick Armour, Small Engine Technician replied 13 years ago
Rick Armour
Rick Armour, Small Engine Technician

HelloCustomer!

This case reminds me of the time we were traveling across New Mexico in the summer of 1968. My Dad said to the gas station service attendant " Yeh, I ran over a snake down the road and after that, the car started having a shimmy". The man had us all back away from the car and preceded to pull a LARGE Rattlesnake from the drive shaft it had wrapped its way around. It was still alive ! It had merely jumped up onto the drive shaft.

Now, I don't think a snake has found it's way up into your mower over the winter, but because the 110 has such a simple steering mechanism, I do believe some critter has nested, or 'mucked-up' your mechanism. Take a look at this :

graphic

Check out part #22 for the problem. Clear the debris and lubricate, and I bet you become a happy mower.

Hope this helps, Rick