J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

HOW TO ADJUST THE GOVERNOR ON INTEK 21 HP. MODEL 407777 ,TYPE

Customer Question

HOW TO ADJUST THE GOVERNOR ON INTEK 21 HP. MODEL 407777 ,TYPE 0229 E-1,CODE 030123YG.THIS ENGINE IS ON A HUSKEE TRACTOR.I STOP USING IT FOR A YEAR. I CHANGE THE OIL,CLEAN CARBURETOR,NEW SPARK PLUG,NEW BATTERY,NEW SOLENOID,NEW GAS LINES,NEW GAS FILTER,NEW AIR FILTER,CHECK IGNITION AIR GAP...AND IT START LIKE NEW.BUT WHEN I PUT THE BLADES ON IT START GOES UP AND DOWN AND THEN DIE,I HEAR LIKE A POP,POP, OR MISFIRE SO THATS WHEN I READ AND OLD BOOK ON SMALL ENGINES REPAIR AND I TRY TO ADJUST THE GOVERNOR AND NOW IT START LIKE ALLWAYS BUT IS TO GOING TO FAST I SHUT OFF THE ENGINE AND LOOK ON THE INTERNET I FOUD YUO GUYS COULD HELP ME...THANK YOU IN ADVANCE...ELIOT PEREZ,SAINT CLOUD ,FLORIDA
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 8 years ago.
The correct way to set the governor is as follows. The governor shaft that comes out the side of the engine has the governor arm attached to it and at the bottom a bolt goes through it which clamps the shaft to the arm. You will want to loosen the clamp bolt and then move the arm in the direction that makes the carb go to full speed. It will be as far away from the idle speed screw as possible on the carb shaft. Note the direction that you moved the arm. You will then hold the arm at full throttle and then turn the shaft in the same direction the you turned the arm until it stops. It will only turn about 1/4". One you have the shaft turned with the arm in the wide open position you will then tighten the clamp bolt back up and thats it. The problem that you are having with the surging is not a governor problem. You have varnshed fuel in the carb that has some of the passages plugged up. I would suggest that you remove the carb and give it a good cleaning making sure you chase all the small holes with a piece of wire.