Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Im replacing an auger drive belt on a HS55 Honda Snowblower

Customer Question
I'm replacing an auger drive...
I'm replacing an auger drive belt on a HS55 Honda Snowblower - track drive. I removed the auger housing and attached the new belt to the pulley on the auger housing. Then we positioned the auger housing to loop the belt over the pulley on the drive. However we cannot get the auger housing to slide back into the engine bed/frame. The belt is too tight. Is there a better method of attaching the belt and getting the auger housing back onto the bed?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Small Engine
1/11/2009
Technician: Bobby, Technician replied 9 years ago
Bobby
Bobby, Technician

Hello , Im Bobby.

Are you sure you have the correct belt? I see there is a SN split so it could be 2 different size belts that it could be.

Well that's what I'm wondering. I got the belt from a Honda dealer. They did NOT have the exact part but they said the belt they gave me was the exact same size. It seems to be looking at the old one. My frame serial is(NNN) NNN-NNNNso from looking on the net (and the dealer agreed) I needed 22432-736-701. It's SB-32 and that's what they gave me. 5/8" I think.

The belt should only get tight when you pull the lever to make the augers turn, So it should be loose when the handle is up .

Well it's tight now but that's because the housing isn't completly attached (got 1 bolt in and that's it) Am I supposed to reattach the housing first and then loop the belt over the drive? That's what I started to do at first but it seemed like it was going to be really tough to get it on the drive pulley. Which way is correct?

Hello again..

I would put the housing back together, Unplug the spark plug wire , Then use the pull rope to turn the engine over to help get the belt on the pulley..

Bobby
Bobby
Bobby, Technician