Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

My Toro snow blower will start but will not keep running. It

My Toro snowblower will start...
My Toro snowblower will start but will not keep running. It dies after a few seconds, and then I cannot restart it unless I let it sit for a few minutes. What might be the problem?
12/16/2008
Edward
Edward, Mechanic

Hello Customer,

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. From the information you have provided I will say that the carburetor is the problem. You might try using a carburetor cleaner to correct the problem. Often things can get in the carburetor that gasoline and most spray cleaners cannot remove. In that case a product like Berryman's B9 Chem Dip. or CHEM-DIP<SUP mce_serialized="626"> PARTS CLEANERS is recommended. Use caution and follow the direction when using this cleaner. The carburetor will need to be disassembled and dipped in this acid based cleaner. It will clean the carburetor like no spray cleaner or gas additive can. Once the carburetor is clean I would recommend putting a carburetor kit to insure trouble free operation. The problem is definitely fuel related.

Edward,

Thank you for your answer. Your diagnosois makes complete sense. At the beginning of winter I made the stupid mistake of grabbing a mislabeled gas can (labeler 40:1) and prepared a fresh mix. My Toro snowblower requires a 32:1 mix. After trying to run the snowblower unsuccessfully, I realized my mistake. I then emptied the fuel tank, prepared a fresh mix at a 32:1 ratio. I have tried to run the snowblower at least a dozen times since (hopefully burning any bad mix), but it continues to die after starting.

Unfortunately, I am not very handy, and would not know how to disassemble a carburetor. The Toro model is about 25 years old, and I lost the manual over this past year. Is diassembling the carburetor a simple task or one that I should trust to a mechanic? Thank you for your help.

I would suggest that it would be best to have the carburetor cleaned at a small engine repair shop. The cleaner I suggested is rather expensive. It can be used over several times but it does not usually make sense for a consumer to by it since it will go bad before it is used enough times to be economical to purchase.THey will likely install a rebuild kit in the carburetor after it is cleaned. This will insure that the engine will start and run correctly.

Edward
Edward, Mechanic

Thanks Edward. I appreciate your advice. I was hoping to be able to avoid the hassle and wait time (they usually take a week to fix things) of going to the repair shop, but it makes the most sense. I am totally satisfied with your answers and with your promptness. This is a cool service.

Best to you over the holidays.

Thank you for the accept. There are spray carburetor cleaners that might work. I am just hesitant to reccomend them since many times they are just a waste of money and time. If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them. I hope you will return to Just Answer again. Please tell your friends about Just Answer. In the future you can request me personally if you wish. Positive feedback is very important to me. Please leave feedback when you get a chance. Click here if you wish to leave feedback.

There is no need to reply to this post unless you have additional questions. It will only generate a request for me to reply to your post.

Regards,

Edward
Edward
Edward
Edward, Mechanic