Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Yard machines lawn mower wont start.

Customer Question
Yard machine riding lawn mower...

Yard machine riding lawn mower won't start and the battery is good.

Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/17/2008
Technician: PK., Small Engine Technician replied 9 years ago
PK.
PK., Small Engine Technician

First thing I need to ask is for the make, model and serial number of the engine. Then if you could give me a description of what the engine is or isn't doing, does the starter engage and the engine turns over but won't run, does nothing happen when you turn the key, are there any clicking noises, that sort of thing. And if you've had any other trouble with it or any work done on it. Thanks, PK.

13am660fo62 184961 model and make serial 1a292h20432 I have a newer battery and charger tells me the battery is charged i cut the grass and hosed it off like always but i diddnt wait until it dried and turnd the key and no start i hear a slight clicking on the left side of theengine sitting in the seat but nothing else

The clicking on the left is the fuel shut-off solenoid most likely. I doubt that hosing it off caused any real damage, I do the same thing and have been doing so for years.

Something is wrong with my MTD website and I can't access your mower right now but if you can tell me how the blades engage? Do you have an electric pto switch on the dash or a lever that engages the belt drive?

I would probably suspect a safety switch at first. Either the one for the clutch/brake or the deck. Check that the one on the brake is fully engaging and the connections are clean and making good contact. Do the same for the deck if you have the lever which engages a belt. Sometimes you can pull backwards on that lever when trying to start the engine and it will engage the safety switch. You can check these switches with a continuity light if you have one. Some you can simply unplug and try starting the mower to check them. You should also remove the key switch connector if you can get to it and give it a good cleaning.

You should also have a fuse that will be somewhere around the keyswitch wiring harness. I'm not sure on yours if the fuel shut-off solenoid is on that same circuit or not but it wouldn't hurt to check that fuse before checking anything else.

If you can check these things and let me know what you get, we'll go from there. Thanks, PK

PK.
PK., Small Engine Technician
PK.
PK.
PK., Small Engine Technician