PK.
PK., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Retired Owner of a full service shop and national parts sales website.
12056261

Have 8hp briggs i/c engine. Replaced dry rotted fuel line.

Have 8hp briggs i/c engine. Replaced dry rotted fuel line. Confirm proper placement of lines from carberator to fuel filter I have three connections
Hello:Customer.My name isXXXXX see if I can help you with your question. What do you mean three connections. Lets start here.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
there is a hose line that runs from the gas tank. the 2nd hose runs from the block and the 3rd runs from the carb. they all feed to a filter with three connectors. The motor is many years old. model #196432 type 1243-e1
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Did you get my reply
Yes I did . I have went back through all my older service manuals and there is not one of them showing a 3 connection fuel filter. So I have opt out of the question, So that maybe another tech will be able to help you. Thank you for the question. Jay

Hi, I'll try and help you. Can you tell me what the filter looks like? Is it sort of rectangular with one side being metal and there is one fitting on the top or cap and two on one side? If so, then it's actually a fuel pump. There should be arrows that will point to the in and out sides and the fitting on the top is for the impulse line which is the hose that goes to the block. Google Briggs part #692026 to verify what it looks like.

Let me know if that seems right. Thanks, PK.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
That's the part. I can't see any arrows. I have the line from the block in the top left,the line from the gas tank in the bottom left and the line from the carb in the bottom right.

The line from the block goes to the fitting that's on the cap of the pump or the half that only has one fitting. This is the impulse line and operates a diaphragm. It sounds like the way yours is put together is a little different with regard to the inlet and outlet fuel lines. All you have to do is hook up the fuel line from the tank to one of the other two fittings and crank the engine over. If the inlet and outlet fittings are both on the same side of the pump, then I believe it's the bottom one that's the inlet and the top the outlet.

This site may help you out.

http://faqs.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/faqs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3352&p_created=1091553951&p_sid=s1CSonij&p_accessibility=0& p_redirect=&p_lva=3441&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9ODIsODImcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1mdWVsIHB1bXA*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Let me know if you have any trouble and if you can't get it to run you should consider that the pump may be bad. Thanks, PK.

PK., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Retired Owner of a full service shop and national parts sales website.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It runs fine. I just wanted to make sure the lines were hooked up properly. Thanks for your help.
Okay that's good. Good luck with it and thanks for the Accept, PK.