Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Have a 14 hp Briggs & Stratton Vanguard engine, need to know

Customer Question
Have a 14 hp Briggs...
Have a 14 hp Briggs & Stratton Vanguard engine, need to know how to wire up for hobby project. Need to wire up to battery, ignition switch, solenoid and engine?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/20/2008
Technician: PK., Small Engine Technician replied 9 years ago
PK.
PK., Small Engine Technician
What sort of ignition switch will you be using and do you need the alternator to charge the battery? Also, will it need to operate lights or other electrical items?
Using a 3 pole car ignition switch. Would like to have lights on it. Doesn't have an alternator on it. The ? magnetron box has black, yellow and red wires coming out of it, not sure how to hook up. Just need basic wiring diagram to rewire. Model # XXXXX XXXXX
Type 0108-01   Code 90022011

I'll need the model, type and serial number off the engine to explain it all, but the starting circuit is pretty easy.

The solenoid will have one heavy cable from the positive on the battery and another to the post on the starter. The solenoid should have a spade connector on the side. You'll run a wire from the "start" position on the switch to this.

Will you be using the fuel shut-off solenoid on the carburetor? If so, that will need to be connected to the "run" position on the switch and maybe to the start position as well depending on the switch.

If you can give me the numbers off the engine I can explain the shut-off circuit. Lights generally require an AC source. Unless someone has removed it, there should be an alternator on this engine. It's located under the flywheel and there will be anywhere from one to four or five wires coming off it.

If this engine came off of a mower or other piece of equipment I can probably steer you to a diagram of that. Thanks, PK.

The ignition switch as solenoid, battery and ignition poles on it.
The engine came off an old White riding mower with all 4 wheels that steered. I've had the motor running for months, the red and black wires from the motor were in place along with the cable from the starter to the solenoid. There was a spark from loose connection and the wires burnt is why I'm starting over. Thanks

The following link is a very basic schematic that you can follow.

http://ihregistry.com/wiring/B17.pdf

On your magneto there should just be one wire coming off it, off a spade connector. Is this not how it is? That would be your kill wire and would go to the off position where it would be grounded.

Did you get the model # XXXXX sent? The diagram was for model 1020?

That diagram is for a Cub Cadet. It's the most basic diagram I have an online source for that I can give you the link to. The general schematic will work for any start/kill circuit and for lights and the charge system. Just ignore the safety switches unless you're using them.

On your engine specifically, we'll need to establish what the yellow, red and black wires are for. You'll need to pull the shroud and see which wire goes to the magneto kill and where the other two originate.

And yes, I got the numbers. I guess I was typing while you were.

Okay, will pull the cover and see where the wires go and write you back.
Okay. I suspect two of the wires will either go under the flywheel or plug into one wire that does. If they do plug into one, look for a diode in one line, it will be about the thickness of a pencil and a couple inches long. This will identify the DC line and will be what you use for a charging circuit and will go to the "run" position on the switch. The other would be an AC line and would go to your light switch. Both should have fuses added if they don't have them already.
PK.
PK., Small Engine Technician
Thanks for the Accept and just revisit this same question thread if you need anything else. Thanks again, PK.
PK.
PK.
PK., Small Engine Technician