Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a 1977 cub cadet 1450 hydrostatic. It has run great

Customer Question
I have a 1977 cub...
I have a 1977 cub cadet 1450 hydrostatic. It has run great always. started it up and it ran at low idle for about 10 seconds then stopped, not stalled. lights work so it is not battery. when i turn the key, nothing happens, no click. if I listen closely i can hear what sounds like a watch ticking only for about 30 seconds or so. Ground wire is intact and securely fastened, no rips or tears. do yo think i have a bad solenoid or ignition switch?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Small Engine
9/22/2008
Technician: PK., Small Engine Technician replied 9 years ago
PK.
PK., Small Engine Technician
Can you tell me which engine this has, make, model and serial number?
it has a 14 hp kholer long life acr. i don't knoe the s/n of the engine but the s/n of the tractor is international harvester XXXXXXXXXXX515

For some reason your serial number of the tractor came up all X's. There are several things it could be, low battery voltage, a bad solenoid, a bad safety switch, bad ignition switch, poor grounds, we'll just have to start a process of elimination.

When you say it ran at low idle, would it not rev up or did you not have a chance to try? Do you have a voltmeter? Has any recent work been done on the tractor? Thanks, PK.

i did not have a chance to try to rev it up. there is good connection and current to the starter, i checked this with my ohm meter. recently has had an oil change service and general maintenance, blades sharpening, greasing etc

would my small ohm meter also be a volt meter?

If your ohm meter has a voltage position it would.

Check the fuses, there should be a fuse off the ignition switch, it's probably near the steering column. You should have two fuses on the mower. One for the ignition and one for the pto switch.

You're going to need a voltmeter with this one if it's not a fuse I believe. You're going to need to determine that the battery has a full 12 volts. Then you need to verify that there's 12 volts at the starter with the key in the "on" position. Then you'll need to verify that the brake safety switch is functioning and that the pto safety switch is functioning. I don't see a seat safety switch on the schematic, but look under the seat and be sure that there isn't one.

You can try jumping the starter directly from the positive post of the battery to the terminal on the battery. If it turns over, then we can go from there.

PK.
PK.
PK., Small Engine Technician