MowerMan
MowerMan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience rebuilding small engines. Specialise in vertical crank mower engines.
12050139

Engine wont turn over battery is charged. Could it be the

Engine won't turn over battery is charged. Could it be the starter?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  MowerMan replied 9 years ago.

What's this engine fitted to? Assuming a riding mower.....

Is there any sound at all when the key is turned to 'START'? If you can hear a 'click' then the starter solenoid is being triggered, which eliminates safty switches and associated wiring.

Test the starter next - take a car jumper cable and connect the starter terminal to the battery+'ve terminal. If engine does NOT crank, then starter is bad. If it does, (and the 'click' test was OK), solenoid is bad.

If there was no click, check the solenoid by taking a wire from the small 'trigger' terminal on the solenoid to battery +'ve. If engine now cranks, you have a bad safty switch, ignition switch, or wiring.

If the equipment is a walk behind that you can't access all the relevant terminals on, let me know and I'll talk you through some alternative test procedures.