Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

have a kawasaki FB460v and am getting no spark. New plug ...

Customer Question
have a kawasaki FB460v and...
have a kawasaki FB460v and am getting no spark. New plug and new starter coil and new igniter. The charger coil under the flywheel looks good but I don''t what might be wrong?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Small Engine
8/14/2008
Technician: DONNY R, SERVICE MANAGER replied 9 years ago
DONNY R
DONNY R, SERVICE MANAGER

Hello there,

I'm sure we can figure this out . In your statement you say you have replaced both the ingition coil at the flywheel and also the little small ignitor on side of the engine? Let me know and I will walk you thru the repair. Thanks

DONNY R
DONNY R, SERVICE MANAGER
What's next?
my question is have you replaced both the ignitor and ignition coil at the flywheel??
I need to know exactly what you have done so we can get you fixed up and running.
The engine was not starting, getting no spark and we wondered if it had to do with the safety and presence switches (being worn and old). We unplugged that two wire harness that comes from the starter-battery and the engine started right away (but would only shut off if we reconnected the safety plug). Several weeks later during mowing the engine quit and would not start-no spark to the plug.

I tested the coil for both continuity and ohms resistance and thought it was bad and replaced it, including the sparkplug boot. When that didn't work, someone at the parts store (Deere I think) said maybe it was the igniter. That, too I replaced and still no spark to the plug. I have tried this with the safety harness plugged and unplugged.

I am at a loss.

Ok dont worry we can fix it, I do need to gather more info from you, I assume by the model number of engine you are working on a old John Deere 160 or 170? i need to know which model it is.

And second thing i need to know is now that you have given me more info I can tell that the engine does run if you unplug a connector, is this correct?

also i was wondering the connector you are speaking of it attached to the pto switch??
Let me know answers........ and I will make sure we get you fixed. Thanks
Dear Sir,

Because I am an ameteur mechanic I missed a step when hooking up the igniter. When I retraced m steps and got it right my mower fired up. Now what?
im not sure what you mean sir???...............your mower fired up?? an dis everything ok now?? does it run correctly now??

please met me know, I dont want you paying for an answer that does not help you. I am here to make sure you get satisfaction and your problem resolved. thank you

Yes, my mower is running correctly now.
very glad to hear that, Thanks for using Just Answer
DONNY R
DONNY R
DONNY R, SERVICE MANAGER