Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

I have a Brother SQ9285. The feed dog is not moving when I…

Customer Question
I have a Brother...

I have a Brother SQ9285. The feed dog is not moving when I flip the switch.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Since last night. 6 hours maybe

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I don't mind I had already taken of the foot, foot plate, bobbin cover and the part that yhe bobbin sits in

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of at the moment

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Small Appliance
Sewing Machine Brother SQ9285. The feed dog is not moving when I flip the switch.
5/26/2018
Small Appliance Technician: Martyn Lloyd, Small Appliance Technician replied 2 months ago
Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd, Small Appliance Technician

Hi

I am Martyn, here in Australia.

The "Expert" community at Just Answer are not on JA Staff, we are Technicians and Professionals from across the globe (I am in Australia), many have our own businesses to run, as well as spending time to help with Q&A on JA in our "spare" time.

There is a Manual to download as reference.... HERE

See page 57 to locate the Feed UP/DOWN switch at rear of machine ....also see image attached

There are generally only a few reasons for the Feed to stop working

1. Stitch Length is set at Zero (May be accidental)
  2. Lint between teeth (use a probe to clear)
  3. UP/Down setting not reset after lowering (Turn one revolution by hand to re-engage)
  4. Gear Damage (Off to the shop)

As you have the Footplate off...can you see whether there is any rise and fall ?

Any front to back ?

Please tell me what you see

Unfortunately I am not able to phone you, as it is only supported for USA domestic calls, I am in Australia

Please be aware that not all things can be resolved at home or in the way we might hope, some may need closer inspection and intervention, others are simply not feasible or advised, so please do not shoot the messenger.

Let me know how you get on, and please get back to me if you have any other questions or concerns and I will try help you more.

If you feel that I have helped to answer your questions or lead you to a solution, please remember to rate my performance positively before you leave so that we can close the file, as it is the only acknowledgement we receive for our time and experience.