Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

My singer sewing machine, with a Knee control, I think is a…

Customer Question
Hi My singer sewing...

Hi My singer sewing machine, with a Knee control, I think is a 201K with a bolted on 240Volt electric motor. Attached to the motor is a component W53 pt number 199058 which has 3 wires Yellow Black and Red. I cannot find any wiring diagram concerning singer showing this component or these connections. Is it necessary and what does it do? thanks Ras

Contractor's Assistant: What's the sewing machine's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Singer I believe from the serial number EH845666 that it is probably a 201K Made in USA early 1953

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think I sent you a full description regarding the part concerned and its serial number in my opening paragraph. if that did not reach you please advise

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Small Appliance
3/25/2018
Small Appliance Technician: Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman replied 4 months ago
Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your sewing machine question.

199058 as a part # brings up nothing in all my researches. Except, judging by a perusal of this parts list for the Singer 201K:

http://parts.singerco.com/CPpartCharts/2_2999/201K1_K2_K3_K4.pdf

it is probably some sort of electrical part (aside even from the three wires coming from it! which clearly indicate that.) It just isn't listed at all.

ADD+ a photo of it to your Reply, and I will tell you what it *looks* like... perhaps a capacitor? I cannot tell what at this point, and must ask you to check as to whether you mis-read the part # on it, perhaps?

Hi Russell Yes I now believe the part is a capacitor. I have seen photo`s of other Singer sewing machine motors and all show a box like attachment fixed to the bottom of the motor, but never a word regarding the wiring. I have put all the parts back together now and re assembled the machine, it was quite a job but I got it right and the old thing is running perfectly
. cheers Ray

Excellent! glad to hear that it turned out A-OK, with some care, as it indeed should.

If you are done with this case, would you rate my work and my answer, using the five-star interface at the top of the JustAnswer question page? (cited below.) Five stars would be a good rating, if you feel I deserved it.

https://www.justanswer.com/small-appliance/b45as-singer-sewing-machine-knee-control-think.html

Thank you, ***** ***** a great day.