Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

We have a Frigidaire gallery side by side. Last night, it…

Customer Question
We have a Frigidaire gallery...
We have a Frigidaire gallery side by side. Last night, it beeped and we notice that the frig temp was up to 66. The freezer was still at zero. We pulled off the back of the freezer and there was a little build up that we removed off the coils with a hair dryer but not a ton. This temp started to go down on the frig so we went to bed. This morning the frig says it is at 60 and the freezer is at -15. The frig is really not the High because stuff like milk is still cold. Any insights on what could be causing this?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Small Appliance
3/9/2018
Small Appliance Technician: woody463, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 month ago
woody463
woody463, Home Appliance Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.
Also the website will send you a phone call offer that is not from me!

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

And do you hear the freezer fan running to circulate the air ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Model number is ***** Yes fan is running.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also the water line to get water out of the door is not working so we assuming it is frozen since the freezer is so cold.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just opened some vegetables from the frig and they are frozen so it is for sure not 62 in there.

ok so then would you say that the issue is just that the temperature display for the fresh food section is incorrect and that the fresh food section is actually cooling fine?

I am helping you along with other customers so there may be a delay in responses to do not panic just wait for my reply thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The vegetables that I referenced were actual cut in a container on the second shelf. Everything in the frig is definetly still cold. For example, I had some milk in there that had previously been frozen so as of yesterday it was a mixture of liquid and some frozen chunks. I just checked it and it still has the frozen chunks in them.... if it was really 60 degrees in there, I wouldn’t think there would still be frozen chunks after 12hours at this temp.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also after being in the freezer to get things out for lunch, that is down to -3 now.

Ok so it is not 60 degrees and the unit is actually cold in the fresh food section .

Which means you either have a bad control board or the temperature sensor is bad .

Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter and know how to use it? to be able to do any component or voltage testing

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is correct that it is cold inside the unit. We do not have a meter.

ok so if you have no way of testing the fresh food section thermistor do you just want to replace it and see if that takes care of the issue.?

A new thermistor is like $30.00

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A quick update....we have been in our freezer and frig over lunch time and the freezer is now back to 0 but the frig is at 63. It seems to me an issue on the frig side.If you think there is a good chance you think it is the thermistor, then let’s go ahead and replace it. It is a pretty easy fix, isn’t it?

yes the thermistor is just a two wire quick disconnect plug .

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

---> CLICK HERE <--- FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

If you have any questions just reply back to me .

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I contacted an appliance repair company in town that is well known and they also sell parts for diy. They have part, so I will pick it up in a couple hours and then replace it. Can you tell us where this sesnsor goes?

it is located on the rear interior wall behind a small cover .

on this parts break down the thermistor is item 22 and the cover is item 23.

https://www.partadvantage.com/diagram/1/0/00053723/680/900

once you installed the part give it 24 hours to give the control board the correct temperature reading .

If you then still have the same issue your looking at replacing the main control board under the unit .

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Found the location in the frig. We’ll see what happens after we replace the part later this afternoon.Once everything gets to the correct temp, will that defrost the water line or is there something else we have to do for that?

no lets just defrost it .

I`m hoping the control board was seeing a bad sensor and was trying to make it colder then the 60 degrees the sensor was telling the control board it was in the fresh food section and was just trying to make it colder and got it too cold.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When you say let’s defrost it, do you mean just let it do it on it’s own?

no warm the line up with a hair dryer , or turn the unit off for several hours with the door open ,

Always glad to assist you anytime.

Thank you in advance.
If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time. I do not get compensated until you rate me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We’ll let you know how it goes after the part is in.Any tips on where the water line is that we should use the hair dryer on?

well if you think the line in the door is frozen you would want to heat up the door .

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Never mind, got it! Just tighter than what we expected!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We have it changed and the water line defrosted while we had the door open. Do we need to turn it off/on to reset it all? I know it will take a little bit of time until it all adjusts completely.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We changed the thermistor at 4 pm. Temperature is still reading 60. Is the temperature going to slowly go down or all of a sudden register correct temp if that was the problem? Or will it take 24 hours for us to see any change?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just wondering if you are going to be available today to answer any questions.It has been 18hours since we replaced the thermistor and not have not seen any changes besides the temp dropping a few degrees. We are thinking that since we have not seen any change, that it was probably not the problem. Do you agree or do you recommend waiting the full 24hours?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It came down to 41 degrees until about 2:30 so about 22.5 hours but then started to go back up to 58. Thought we had it....any suggestions. Was 4 degrees away from our set point of 37 and then for whatever reason started to climb. Was coming down 1 degree every 3 minutes.

ok if replacing the thermistor did not get the proper temps ,we know the thermistor is good so it has to be an issue with the electronic control board.

Do you have a thermostat that you can place it the fresh food section to see the actual temperature, before you replace that expensive control board?

I see you have NOT replied back to me .
Do you still need assistance on your question?
If not I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time .

woody463
woody463
woody463, Home Appliance Technician