Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

I’m getting a machine overload message. The bobbin casing is…

Customer Question
I’m getting a machine...

I’m getting a machine overload message. The bobbin casing is at an angle and rotated to the back, needle and presser foot are down. I have an opal 690Q

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Last night

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Nothing open today. Wanted to see if there was anything I could do first.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I was sewing using the stretch heavy option when it happened.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the sewing machine's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Viking opal 690Q and less than 2 years old

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Appliance
Answered in 2 days by:
1/4/2018
Small Appliance Technician: Martyn Lloyd, Small Appliance Technician replied 7 months ago
Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd, Small Appliance Technician

Hi, I am Martyn, here in Australia.

Welcome to Just Answer

I have only just seen your query as I am only here infrequently at the moment, seems all the other sewing machine techs are also taking a break unfortunately

Are you able to upload a photo of the Bobbin case in situ please

I suspect that the stopper at the rear R of the Bobbin Case is out of position, (may also be the spring stopper on front R)... the usual rotation allowance for the case is around 1-2mm to allow the needle thread to pass over the case. If the bobbin case can move too far, or past the stopper/s it will rotate out of position and cause the machine to stop sewing, creates needle strikes, bent needles and etc

Generally an easy fix with a Phillips Screwdriver to set the correct position and you are good to go again... so please let me know how much movement is in the case and that image would really help

The "Expert" community at Just Answer are not on JA Staff, we are Technicians and Professionals from across the globe (I am in Australia), many have our own businesses to run, as well as spending time to help with Q&A on JA in our "spare" time. We advise and suggest, we do not have warehouse access to the companies, we generally do the repairs and callouts, this is just an online Help Desk really. We appreciate and rely on your honest positive ratings.

I would prefer a text message. So that I can remember if it happens again.

We have almost no internet connection here at the moment, being rural, and so I am unable to see the images, they simply will not download

I am going to opt out and perhaps some other tech will pick up

I suspect that you may want to take it for repair if you do not follow what I have said above regarding the stoppers... if they are not in the correct position, it will continue to do this