Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

Small Appliance

I have a Bernina 580 sewing machine, every time I see with…

Customer Question
I have a Bernina...

I have a Bernina 580 sewing machine, every time I see with any presser foot it makes a tapping sound, like it is hitting or rubbing on something like the stitch plate, do u know how I can fix this?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the sewing machine's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

One year old Bernina B580

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can, yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

None that I can think of

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Small Appliance
12/19/2017
Small Appliance Technician: Martyn Lloyd, Small Appliance Technician replied 2 months ago
Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd, Small Appliance Technician

The quickest way for you to determine the cause is to manually wind the Handwheel slowly and keep an eagle eye on the needle .....(it IS a new Needle isn't it !?!)

Did you have a jam or similar recently ?

Is it still under Warranty ?

Let me know how you get on, and please get back to me if you have any other questions or concerns and I will try help you more. It may take more than one exchange to get a fix, so please work with me, you are my eyes and ears here

No jam, no broken needle, just what I said, if I remove the presser feet from the machine, the machine will run smoothly, but once I install any of the presser feet, then when I sew, it will start tapping again the stitch plate, no warranty
Excuse me, but if you don't know about the Bernina machines, what's the point in talking with you? I just told you what the machine is doing and you have not said anything at all that would tell me, what may possibly be wrong with it, and if you would have paid attention, I have said that the presser foot was rubbing or tapping on the stitch plate

You are excused, I have been doing this for many, many years

I generally engage in a dialogue to make recommendations.... as I said at the outset

I cannot see what you have managed to do to the machine and without some detail, it is not for me to guess

Merry Christmas, hope it all goes well

Thank you for nothing, yet, you were going to be my second opinion, I already knew what was wrong with the sewing machine, but again, you go around circles, really? New needle? Turn the hand wheel? What a joke

If you knew, then why did you ask ?
I suggested having a very close look at where the collision was occurring as you gently turned the handwheel... it is the first thing I would do if it were on my bench... which, of course it isn't, so I rely on your eyes to guide me here in Australia...without a video or other means to look at what you have

I can only work with what you give me
I suggest you book it in for a Service if you cannot resolve it yourself
​I shall be leaving this Q&A as I do not feel you are after assistance through a measured and logical dialogue, so I am at rather a loss to be of any more help, and have other, more pressing issues to attend to... have a lovely day

kingcobra80
kingcobra80
kingcobra80, Small Appliance Technician