Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

My roomba 770 got wet I put a blow dryer on it and it came…

Customer Question
My roomba 770 got...

My roomba 770 got wet I put a blow dryer on it and it came back on.. now if i hit clean the red caution light comes on, and it doesn't do anything? Is it totaled??

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, who manufactured the blow-dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It is Conair and only a few months old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I will if the problem can be fixed

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, it had been working fine, but there was water on the floor and i thought i had docked it , but it went throught it a few times

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Appliance
12/11/2017
Small Appliance Technician: Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman replied 8 months ago
Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
It may be damaged permanently. But you should try drying it off thoroughly first:

First: an electronic device with dampness inside it needs to be kept powered Off, strictly Off, until it is *certain* to be dried. So, remove the battery, and keep it apart for days.

Second: leave undisturbed in a warm place, for days, not just overnight. It must be thoroughly dried to have a chance of being undamaged.

Should the battery (kept apart) be dried too? if it got at all wet, yes, but several days just sitting on a shelf, after wiping the battery terminals dry enough with a clean dry cloth, should do that - the battery is sealed anyway, unless its severely damaged.

- Does this answer your question? if so, a rating for my work would be appreciated. But if you'd rather wait for later to rate my work, that's fine too.

Thanks. I’ll try that!

Good... would you rate my answer now, or would you prefer to wait to hear how the procedure goes and what result it has? or, to ask more about this case later perhaps ?

Since I have not heard back from you, I am asking whether my answer was helpful and provided what you needed ?

(If I didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond, and I will be pleased to help you further.)

I left it near a furnace vent for a couple days. Disassembled. Tried it today. Still doing the same thing:(

I'm sorry to hear that the thorough drying has failed to bring the device to life.

I think it has been permanently damaged by incautiously turning it On after it got wet; It's best not to test a device's wetness that way, but to err on the side of caution and not turn it On again until days of drying. Many cases here at JustAnswer that I have advised on, seem to have turned out better that way.

The Roomba has damaged internal electronic components... most likely, the electronic controls/board(s) in it. It will require repair or replacement, it seems, unfortunately.